CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-24-2014, 12:51 PM   #1
Vicky Illsley

Profile:
Crossfit at home..

Is it possible to compete in crossfit if you just train crossfit at home? Most of my equipment is set up for strength training
Old 03-24-2014, 02:16 PM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: Crossfit at home..

It is certainly possible.
I think the advantage of having a gym or box to go to is additional support and competition to push you.

Most people who are leads in their sport get there by being pushed by the competition. That can be hard but not impossible to do at home.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:24 AM   #3
Steven Wingo

Profile:

Sure you can. Thousands of at home participants are competing in the Open this year and submitting video submissions of their workouts since they are not doing them at affiliates. I've judged some excellent performances done at home and submitted through video (also some bad ones too).

Do you have prior experience with the movements such as the squats, presses, deadlifts, cleans, snatches, and so on?

If not, in my opinion it is very, very valuable to be able to attend a box so you can learn. Even when you are experienced and know the movements well, having some experienced eyes watching you--and others pushing you--is very helpful. While there are some people who prefer to work out alone, I'd also say the box experience--suffering alongside friends instead of going it alone--is a big advantage for most people as well.

If the choices are between doing it at home, and not doing it at all, however, I'd definitely go with doing it at home.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:00 AM   #4
Tommy A Miller

Profile:

Froning and Bailey both have done or continue to do a significant amount of work on their own.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:10 AM   #5
Justin R Johnson

Profile:

I have 2 main concerns with 100% at home training.

Like was previously mentioned, if you have experience with Olympic movements, etc you should be fine, but if you don't, it may be worth attending a CrossFit gym for a while to get the movements down. Or have someone who knows what they are doing teach you the moves (different than showing you the moves), but teach you/correct you on the individual movements.

The other is programming. Random WoDs that are just made up have no end goal. You could follow the CrossFit.com main site, that's acceptable, but I would steer clear of making up your own workouts for a while.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:54 AM   #6
Tate Dimech

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin R Johnson View Post
I have 2 main concerns with 100% at home training.

Like was previously mentioned, if you have experience with Olympic movements, etc you should be fine, but if you don't, it may be worth attending a CrossFit gym for a while to get the movements down. Or have someone who knows what they are doing teach you the moves (different than showing you the moves), but teach you/correct you on the individual movements.

The other is programming. Random WoDs that are just made up have no end goal. You could follow the CrossFit.com main site, that's acceptable, but I would steer clear of making up your own workouts for a while.
This! I went to a CF box for maybe 2-3 months over November-January and learned all the lifts and skills from a fantastic coach.

And this! Don't mix and match or try and make up your own/use a "hopper style app". Choose a program and follow it .COM is okay but really sporadical, it all depends on what your goals are. CrossFit Football is great for strength but you'll have to know your limitations and how to scale, CrossFit Invictus has 3 streams you can follow based on your goals or find a box local or one of the big ones and follow their programming.

Good luck!
Old 05-12-2014, 03:18 PM   #7
Steven Thunander

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tate Dimech View Post
This! I went to a CF box for maybe 2-3 months over November-January and learned all the lifts and skills from a fantastic coach.

And this! Don't mix and match or try and make up your own/use a "hopper style app". Choose a program and follow it .COM is okay but really sporadical, it all depends on what your goals are. CrossFit Football is great for strength but you'll have to know your limitations and how to scale, CrossFit Invictus has 3 streams you can follow based on your goals or find a box local or one of the big ones and follow their programming.

Good luck!
I would second going to a box for 2-3 months to learn everything. Then, I would suggest dropping in at least bi-weekly for form checks and to stay current in the community.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:36 PM   #8
Richard Colon

Profile:

I am 100% certain that everything you want to learn to be able to do Crossfit level movements (at any level) properly you can learn for free using your computer at home. This includes programming and Olympic lifts.

You just have to start searching, start asking and heed the advice of the big boys out there.

I say Crossfit level because to learn the Olympic lifts at the level required to compete in Crossfit - the info is out there in video/written form and you can get the proper feedback from the right places through message boards. All FREE and from the comfort of your computer. To actually compete in Olympic weightlifting though, then I'd say you need a coach to move to those levels.

However, even with all this available, you have to have the discipline to apply it and the ability to put it all into action consistently, with no push or motivation from anyone else but yourself. That is where the box/community lies.

At home though. I guarantee you can, is my point. Find a good coach however, at any gym, and you're ability to learn and obtain information will increase tenfold. That all depends on the coaching though. There are many people online, through youtube channels, that share every single bit of information needed on how to program and how to do this or that movement that are highly respected and would coach circles around most of your Crossfit box coaches.

Read 5/3/1 and study Jim Wendler stuff and tell me that you will find your average Crossfit coach that will teach you more about strength
Watch David Durante and Carl Paoli (again, ALL FREE STUFF) and find me a coach at a gym that will teach you better gymnastic stuff as it applies to Crossfit.
Do the same for Kelly Starrett and mobility to apply towards Crossfit.
Read about GSLP, Starting Strength, Dan John, top collegiate track programs, Greg Everett and the Catalyst Athletics programs, find all the Westside Barbell/Louie Simmons info you can. Watch videos with Smitty or Matt Wichlinski. Watch every piece of Burgener olympic lift stuff. Read and study Invictus, Outlaw and Crossfit New Englands programming philosophy. Study and understand and watch the Crossfit endurance programming stuff. Find info on Misfit programming. Learn every detail of the Crossfit Football website and their methods.

There ya go. The start to greatness from home. Otherwise, it is just application, sticking with it to see if it works for you, posting questions, listening to feedback, adjusting and rinse repeat. Games here ya come!

Point is, even the coaches out there are learning from others. And 99% of the time, its through this wealth of unlimited information via the internet.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:15 PM   #9
Tate Dimech

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Colon View Post
I am 100% certain that everything you want to learn to be able to do Crossfit level movements (at any level) properly you can learn for free using your computer at home. This includes programming and Olympic lifts.
I agree with this comment 99%, for Wall Ball, HSPU, Double Unders, Kipping, Butterfly, BS, DL etc. there are fantastic sources on the CF website and on YouTube etc. BUT the snatch in particular is ridiculously hard to learn by yourself and some CF athletes and coaches have 0 idea about proper technique. This has been improving tremendously over the past few years at a games level but I would still want to learn from an accredited WL coach because (a) they are so heavily used in CF programming and (b) they put the body in a number of precarious positions.