CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-28-2014, 06:49 PM   #1
David Osorio

Profile:
Did you take a free intro class before signing up at your Affliate?

Hi all,

I'm curious what everyone did at their first free "into" classes (not Foundations/elements) that most affiliates host for interested people. Please post your experience and what you liked or didn't like about it.

I've got a related new post on Inside the Affiliate about how we run our intro classes and would be curious to hear what other folks experienced.

Free Intro Classes at CrossFit Affiliates (WFS)

Thanks!
Old 03-28-2014, 09:54 PM   #2
Joe Spinelli

Profile:
Re: Did you take a free intro class before signing up at your Affliate?

I think I went through a pretty thorough warm up and then a short WOD. It was as much for my coach to assess my fitness level as it was for me to try out the box.

I think I did a 1,000m row, some push ups and sit ups, attempted a pull up, did some air squats and some stretching. After that was a short WOD with a run, box jumps and burpees if I remember correctly.

I was encouraged to stick around and watch and talk to the other members and get an idea of what it was all about.

I think walking in is the hardest part!

Good luck!
Old 03-31-2014, 10:06 AM   #3
Justin R Johnson

Profile:

I went through a functional movement screen with one of the coaches at the gym that I started out. He checked out how I could squat, some mobility drills, etc... then I did 21-15-9 of Ring Rows and Pushups. That's all it took. I was hooked after that. I'll never forget that first workout, I think it's the CrossFit equivalent of a first kiss.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:51 AM   #4
Brett Dillon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin R Johnson View Post
I'll never forget that first workout, I think it's the CrossFit equivalent of a first kiss.
LOL

Mine was the equivalent to an equal measure of uppercut and roundhouse to my ego, I did a free introduction at 1 box and there were no held punches, something like 400m run, 20 burpees, 15 pull ups, 10 squats rinse and repeat x3.

I was completely spent after that...

I have just gone through an onramp course at another box closer to me and can happily say I have become a member and wil lbe attending my 4th WoD this week.

I'm viewing my slow transformation like a new born bull calf, pathetic at the start but give it some food, a nudge here and there and watch it turn into prime grade A rump.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:57 AM   #5
Chuck Golden

Profile:

I went to their free Saturday morning class, which they still have by the way, right after they opened. The WOD that morning was Helen. I think I finished in like a day and a half but I signed up before I left that day and spent almost three years there.

Helen is still one my favorite WODS just cause it reminds me how far I've come since that first day
Old 04-30-2014, 04:41 PM   #6
Rob Brown

Profile:

I'm close to a couple of affiliates, one does a 'free week' and one does a 'sign up for footprint classes at 75.00', and get the rest of the month free.

I like the footprint class approach better. It weeds out tire kickers, and puts new people in a very safe, non competitive, collaborative environment right off the bat. Then, they get into regular CF classes knowing what to expect. Of course you get less tire kickers, but the ones you do get, seem to last longer and take it more serious.

The 'free week' style gets a lot of people through the doors. ... even chronically (many come for a free week every few months). They come in, hit god knows what workout, and many never come back once they realize what it really takes. They become a distraction to the regular members as they drain coaching time and learn to navigate the facility.

To me, you need to believe in your program and skip the 'free', 'deal' or 'coupon' ..that is, if you are a facility that can remain in demand. If you are the little guy with barely any equipment, and your in the shadow of epic competition, things might be different just to get started.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:05 PM   #7
John C Blattner

Profile:

I got a 20-minute rendition of the basic Glassman spiel (the 10 elements of fitness, constantly-varied-high-intensity-functional-movement, etc). Then did a "Benchmark" workout that consisted of 500K row, air squats, sit-ups, push-ups, and pull-ups. (I did the same workout at the end of a 10-session foundations course so I could see how much progress I had made.)

My favorite memory was when we were walking through the movements in the Benchmark workout and came to pull-ups. "How many pull-ups do you think you can do?" the trainer asked. I sort of rolled my eyes and said, "Oh maybe, like, y'know, one?" (I was a confirmed couch-potato at the time). The trainer just shook his head and said, "No, sir. I will tell you exactly how many pull-ups you can do: Zero." So I did jumping pull-ups for the workout.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:49 PM   #8
James Gist

Profile:

I think I had the option to come in and either watch a class or try it out. I opted to try it out.

Signed a waiver and did a scaled version of the WOD. All I remember is that it had 14 Knees to Elbow (or maybe T2B) and I did maybe half that number for 2 of the four rounds. I also remember that I was brutally sore for the next four days. Like couldn't get out of my car or bend down to tie my shoes without some serious contorting sore.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:53 PM   #9
Andrew G Parker

Profile:

I'd been encouraged by a number of existing members at the box and had researched it for a couple of months. Spent an hour or so with the coach and did the baseline. It totally kicked my butt, but I signed the paper work and started classes. He generally only has six to a class, so lots of close attention. He is a stickler for, and trains to, good technique. Also encourages all newbies to come in during "open gym" time for further training as needed. I've visited other boxes that had much larger classes. I would've wanted an on ramp class for one of those.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:20 PM   #10
Chris Brigham

Profile:

My intro class, I was asked to come early to address the waiver and to talk about my ideas and reasons to come to Cf, and what I knew about it, fears goals etc. Then opened with warm up of jump rope, then 500m row, then spoke about base movements (squats, push press, burpee and box jumps) and "tested" my ability to preform a air squat went through some drills on maintaining good form and then once he was happy with my squat looked at the burpee and box jump. did some mobility work, then did a light WOD 5min AMRAP push press (just bar) med ball squats and box jumps. The idea he said was an introduction to a WOD and not to kill me , he stressed that he didn't want me too sore the next day. I truly appreciated that. after we spoke about goals in CF and asked if there was anything movement or exercise I wanted to look at ... bottom line I loved it I was hooked, and the coolest thing I thought was right after the main class completed their WOD those that could walk came right over and introduced themselves to me... Love Crossfit LVI