CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-06-2014, 12:54 PM   #11
Tay Comm

Profile:
Re: Did you take a free intro class before signing up at your Affliate?

I went in to a local place when I started out and it took me about 10 minutes sitting by myself in the parking lot to go in. It was pretty intimidating at first but the Girl who was there was awesome. We started an OnRamp course and she showed me some basic movements. She was really good and VERY helpful. Afterwards we did a short WOD and then I stuck around and spoke to her and a few of the members there.
I left feeling REALLY good and excited to go back.

The next time I went in I had a different girl and it was a completely different experience. She showed me a few more movements but instead of correcting any errors she just told me that I would eventually just get it. She constantly left our group to go and talk with other people only coming back to show us something different and telling us to do it 10 times. One of the guys in our groups was having a very difficult time doing overhead squats but he did not get any extra help either.
We did another short WOD after where we had to row, do air squats and pushups.
I was pretty out of shape back then so I couldnt complete it in the 10 minutes she gave us, as my arms could not push my body up no matter how hard I tried. BUT, I did try and I did not want to quit. Once the ten mintues was up she said I could stop, and that was good enough then left me there with two other members so she could continue chatting with her friends. I didn't stop though, and the two others encouraged me to keep going until I did finish. They gave me five and were happy for me and she kind of looked over as if to say "you're still here"... I sat and waited for about 5 more minutes to see the plan for the next day, like the previous girl had done, but she never came and that was the last time I ever went there.

I realize there are alot of factors that could have been in play here, and that the other people/trainers/ and owner were all really nice. But, I couldn't chance running into that girl again. When I left that day I wondered if this was really something I wanted to do or if I got the wrong impression on day one and this was a really clique driven environment....

I have had better experiences elsewhere..