CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-08-2014, 08:32 AM   #1
Pedro Farah

Profile:
thoughts on my strength program

Hi,

I would like to know from more experienced CFers if this is a good strength routine to follow in between regular CF days - 3 days a week.

I'm not very strong, so I'm working on a Upper Body/Lower Body scheme. Beginner gains are still very active.

- Upper Body Day

1x5 Bench Press @ 90% 1RM
5x5 Bench Press @ 75% 1RM

1x5 Shoulder Press @ 90% 1RM
5x5 Push Press at same weight.

Auxiliary:
5x to failure Diamond Push-ups
5x to failure Strict Pull-ups
10x5 V Sit-ups

- Lower Body Day

1x5 Deadlift @ 90% 1RM
5x5 Deadlift @ 75% 1RM

1x5 Back Squat @ 90% 1RM
5x5 Back Squat @ 75% 1RM

Auxiliary:
10x5 V Sit-ups
10x5 Good Mornings

Thanks,
Old 04-08-2014, 09:03 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: thoughts on my strength program

No, that's not a good program. For one thing, 5x5 on squat and deadlift on the same day is an awful idea.

Just last week you were asking about strength programs and you seemed to think our suggestions on 5/3/1 sounded pretty good--why don't you just do that?
Old 04-08-2014, 09:31 AM   #3
Pedro Farah

Profile:

You're right Eric. I made this routine based on the suggestions of a powerlifter at my local box who said Wendler's program would be best once I made a few more gains.

If it's perfectly alright jumping straight into 5/3/1, i'd rather do that. What do you think about the auxiliary work?

Once again, thanks for your help.

My stats:
Heigth: 6 ft
Weight: 160 lbs
1RMs
Deadlift: 240 lbs
Back Squat: 190 lbs
Bench: 140 lbs
Shoulder Press: 85 lbs
Old 04-08-2014, 09:41 AM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Given those numbers I'd suggest doing GSLP 3 days per week and adding in 2 or 3 CF-style workouts per week on your lifting days.

Once you've added 100-150lbs to all your 1RMs then it would be appropriate to switch over to 5/3/1.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:54 AM   #5
Pedro Farah

Profile:

That sounds good, thanks!
To reiterate, you think I should crossfit on the same day as the lifting and make the rest days 'full rest days'. Is that correct?
Old 04-08-2014, 10:47 AM   #6
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

That's how I'd do it. GSLP works well as a Monday/Wednesday/Friday lifting template, so I'd recommend doing your conditioning on Wednesday and Friday, then maybe a bit on Saturday as well.

The GSLP e-book lays out all the different approaches and minor tweaks very well--you should definitely purchase that if you plan to do the program.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:45 PM   #7
Brad Rasmussen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Given those numbers I'd suggest doing GSLP 3 days per week and adding in 2 or 3 CF-style workouts per week on your lifting days.

Once you've added 100-150lbs to all your 1RMs then it would be appropriate to switch over to 5/3/1.
Just curious as to why you're recommending doing gslp and adding 100lbs to his lifts before going to 531? Is it because he would make faster initial gains with gslp?
Old 04-08-2014, 08:07 PM   #8
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Rasmussen View Post
Just curious as to why you're recommending doing gslp and adding 100lbs to his lifts before going to 531? Is it because he would make faster initial gains with gslp?
Yep, much faster. On GSLP he'd be able to add 10lbs per week to his working 5RMs on squats/deadlifts while on 5/3/1 he'd only be adding 10lbs per month.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:52 AM   #9
Dana Rice

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Yep, much faster. On GSLP he'd be able to add 10lbs per week to his working 5RMs on squats/deadlifts while on 5/3/1 he'd only be adding 10lbs per month.
Correct, and once again - I agree with Eric. Although my recommendation would still be to focus on just flat out getting stronger at this point - but I understand your desire to make the workouts fun, and crossfit is more fun.

The problem with the program you laid out is that by doing 5x5 squats + deads, and 5x5 Bench + Press, whichever lift is 2nd on that day will be crap.

Also, 90% of what? You are a novice, the idea of having a 1rep max is silly, when that max will literally be changing by the workout, if you are doing it right. with this new plan - when do you add weight, what is the progression? You are going to get 1 set of 5 at 90%? think about that for a moment.

With the assistance stuff - how did you come up with those movements? you seem to be all over the place. what are you trying to accomplish with them? I'd never advise going to complete failure. Chins are good, just do sets of 5-10 (whatever you can do) and don't worry about going to failure. I'm guessing the diamond pushups are for triceps? There are much better options. Good mornings are completely unnessessary at this point. Why v-situps? With all of the ab focused movements available in your crossfit repertoire, why choose that? Toes to bar, knees to elbows, ab wheel, planks, l-sit, ghd situps are all better options, imo - and will transfer better to a skill you can use later.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:40 AM   #10
Pedro Farah

Profile:

Eric and Dana, once again thanks for the help. I followed Eric's advice and purchased the Greyskull LP. I'm currently studying it and intend to begin the program next Monday.