CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-14-2014, 10:42 AM   #11
Pedro Farah

Profile:
Re: thoughts on my strength program

Eric and Dana, once again, I'd really appreciate your insight.

Sometimes, my GSLP days will overlap with a strength biased WOD at the Box. Would you advise me to skip the WOD and focus on my main program in those cases, or is it ok to do both strength(ish) workouts on the same day?

A strength WOD at my box might look something like this:
3 Rounds for Time
With somewhat heavier weight than usual:
5x Power Snatches
5x Burpees
5x Thrusters
5x Burpees
5x Snatches
5x Burpees
With maybe some heavy lifting before, during technique, as well (usually in the range of 5 singles).

What do you think are the chances of benefiting from a bit more heavy training versus overtraining and jeopardizing my GSLP program?

Thanks
Old 04-15-2014, 10:02 AM   #12
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

That looks ok--you should be fine doing your GSLP lifts first, then maybe a few heavy-ish power snatch singles, then that workout for conditioning. I would recommend paying close attention to your technique on the power snatches and not allowing yourself to get sloppy just to get a faster time.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:32 AM   #13
Jose Soriano

Profile:

How does RPT compare to GSLP for newbie gains? I'm currently seeing some pretty decent increases, and the simplicity of the setup makes it especially attractive.

Also, I noticed that push press and bench were the same day, and I'm curious if that's ok? My setup has military press and bench on the same day, and I feel as though I'm just not getting as much out of the military as I could if I was fresh.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:38 PM   #14
Sean Smith

Profile:

Eat more and squat. 6' and 160#. Eat more and squat.

Keep it simple. Linear progressions aren't sexy but they will be guaranteed gains. I still do linear progressions from time to time. For example, if your back squat is 200#. Start with 65# for 5x5. Add 5# each day you squat until you can't make your 5 sets. Once you miss a set of 5, stop for that day and rest for a few days. Come back and redo the weight you missed and do 5x4. Keep that going until you get down to 5x2. Take a few days off of squatting and then test your 1 rep max. This should take you 2+ months if you squat two or three times a week. You'll see huge gains in your squat and deadlift.

That's my two cents.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:41 PM   #15
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Just saw that you got GSLP but was gonna recommend Beyond 531 which is pretty similar.

http://www.t-nation.com/workouts/beyond-531-program-1-1 actually WFS for once since there is no scantily clad females
Old 05-24-2014, 03:16 PM   #16
Pedro Farah

Profile:

Thanks for the feedback. I'm enjoying GSLP. It has been 6 going on 7 weeks since I started and I think I made some decent gains - I added about 20-30 lbs to my basic lifts (45 lbs to my deadlift), along with about 4 lbs of body weight, so far.

Lately I was thinking about adding into the accessory work some exercises that are more directly geared towards strengthening the olympic lifts, things like snatch presses, snatch balance, power cleans, hang snatch + overhead squat, and so on. Then maybe when I complete this first 12 week cycle add the lifts themselves into the programming. I'd appreciate getting some feedback on this as well.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:36 PM   #17
Jon Hanover

Profile:

Looks pretty solid. Make sure you add in some mobility work.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:29 AM   #18
Klæmint Vagadal

Profile:

I don't want to complicate things even further, regarding your strength routine. There are a million routines out there, all serving different purposes and goals. Some swear by GSLP, others Wendler. I believe, that at the end of the day, if you stick to basic compound lifts, keep the volume fairly (total of 25-50 lifts, depending on intensity and exercise) high, you're going to do just fine.

After having tried both Wendler and GSLP, I have some issues with the setup they use. I did not like the low volume both programs use. Coming from a powerlifting background, and having run many Sheiko routines, I swear by volume. That's where the magic happens.

With Wendler, you start out by shaving off 10% of your real 1RM, then have build-up sets to your maximum effort set. That makes the first two sets before the heavy set way too light, at roughly 58% and 68% of your true 1RM, which is barely a warm-up.

And yes, I know, you don't just run one Wendler cycle, and expect huge gains. It's a steady state training system, run over long time. But low volume over a long time, or over a short period, is still low volume. Period.

I've tried it (Wendler) both in its original setup, and a "tweaked" version of my own, adding back down sets (3x5, 4x3, 3x3) after the max set, which seemed to work way better for me.

Another problem I had with the prescribed lifting percentages, was that it was not sure I was mentally or physically up for an all-out effort set of deadlift, or squat. Or whatever. A solution to that problem is to get the prescribed reps under the belt, and get out. But that left me with a very unsatisfying lifting session, alt so having to wait a whole week until my next chance. No fun at all.

Something that I have been using, with great success, is just a method I started doing all by my self, back in the day (nothing new, I can see now). I used to build up all my sets, for example, DB Inc. Bench (weight in kilos):

2-3 warm up sets
1x6 @ 42,5
1x6 @ 45
1x6 @ 47,5
1x6 @ 50

But I just could not get past those damn 50 kg dumbbells! Then I backed off, tried to see if I could get 4x6 @ 42,5 kg. Easy! Next session, 4x6 @ 45. Sweet. Next 3x6 @ 47,5. Ugh! Heavy, ugly. And I didn't get the last set! Next session, 3x6 @ 47,5! Better, more control, a bit more power output. Still heavy, tough. Next session, 4x6 @ 47,5! Yeah buddy! And finally, 2x6 @ 50 + 2x6 @ 47,5. When I hit a solid round of 4x6 @ 50 kg DB Inc. Bench, I started over again, with a new buildup, finding my new 5-6RM. Of course, If I felt extra evil on a given day, I'd go for a new, slightly increased 6RM. But the results were way better, If I just kept trying to get those 4x6 with 50 kg, than maxing out every third or fourth session.

Using the scheme above, I chugged away at those dumbbells, until there were no more DB's to play with. And that's the progression I have been using since. Simple, and fairly high on volume. Whatever Set X Rep scheme I use, I just try to get a total of 25 lifts on my main exercise (8x3, 6x4, 5x5, 4x6..) The scheme above is not used for assistance exercises.

Wow...this post just got long. Sorry about that.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:31 AM   #19
Klæmint Vagadal

Profile:

I don't want to complicate things even further, regarding your strength routine. There are a million routines out there, all serving different purposes and goals. Some swear by GSLP, others Wendler. I believe, that at the end of the day, if you stick to basic compound lifts, keep the volume fairly (total of 25-50 lifts, depending on intensity and exercise) high, you're going to do just fine.

After having tried both Wendler and GSLP, I have some issues with the setup they use. I did not like the low volume both programs use. Coming from a powerlifting background, and having run many Sheiko routines, I swear by volume. That's where the magic happens.

With Wendler, you start out by shaving off 10% of your real 1RM, then have build-up sets to your maximum effort set. That makes the first two sets before the heavy set way too light, at roughly 58% and 68% of your true 1RM, which is barely a warm-up.

And yes, I know, you don't just run one Wendler cycle, and expect huge gains. It's a steady state training system, run over long time. But low volume over a long time, or over a short period, is still low volume. Period.

I've tried it (Wendler) both in its original setup, and a "tweaked" version of my own, adding back down sets (3x5, 4x3, 3x3) after the max set, which seemed to work way better for me.

Another problem I had with the prescribed lifting percentages, was that it was not sure I was mentally or physically up for an all-out effort set of deadlift, or squat. Or whatever. A solution to that problem is to get the prescribed reps under the belt, and get out. But that left me with a very unsatisfying lifting session, also having to wait a whole week until my next chance. No fun at all.

Something that I have been using, with great success, is just a method I started doing all by my self, back in the day (nothing new, I can see now). I used to build up all my sets, for example, DB Inc. Bench (weight in kilos):

2-3 warm up sets
1x6 @ 42,5
1x6 @ 45
1x6 @ 47,5
1x6 @ 50

But I just could not get past those damn 50 kg dumbbells! Then I backed off, tried to see if I could get 4x6 @ 42,5 kg. Easy! Next session, 4x6 @ 45. Sweet. Next 3x6 @ 47,5. Ugh! Heavy, ugly. And I didn't get the last set! Next session, 3x6 @ 47,5! Better, more control, a bit more power output. Still heavy, tough. Next session, 4x6 @ 47,5! Yeah buddy! And finally, 2x6 @ 50 + 2x6 @ 47,5. When I hit a solid round of 4x6 @ 50 kg DB Inc. Bench, I started over again, with a new buildup, finding my new 5-6RM. Of course, If I felt extra evil on a given day, I'd go for a new, slightly increased 6RM. But the results were way better, If I just kept trying to get those 4x6 with 50 kg, than maxing out every third or fourth session.

Using the scheme above, I chugged away at those dumbbells, until there were no more DB's to play with. And that's the progression I have been using since. Simple, and fairly high on volume. Whatever Set X Rep scheme I use, I just try to get a total of 25 lifts on my main exercise (8x3, 6x4, 5x5, 4x6..) The scheme above is not used for assistance exercises.

Wow...this post just got long. Sorry about that

EDIT: One last thought, regarding Wendler and CF. Another problem I have with 5/3/1 and CF, is that if you for example set up three Wendler cycles, spanning 12 weeks, with three estimates 1RM, one for each cycle. You spend many of the first weeks in the 10-15 rep range on your max effort days, which is basically the same rep range you would expect in a WOD. So why spend your time chugging out 10 to 15 reps in your strength sessions, AND in your WODS? Why not just keep it heavy, low reps, coupled with the high rep work in the WOD'S?

Last edited by Klæmint Vagadal : 06-05-2014 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:33 PM   #20
Pedro Farah

Profile:

Thanks Klæmint, that was good information. GSLP seems to be working fine, but maybe, once I'm done with this cycle, I'll tweak it around to add more volume in the lines you mentioned and see how it goes.