CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-23-2014, 10:11 PM   #1
Ron Reed

Profile:
Fell off the wagon

I was afraid it would happen and it did. After 8 months of Paleo and 6 months of Crossfit, I have fallen off the wagon. I had lost 35 pounds and made significant strength gains but then I started vacation and my routine went to $h!t. It started innocently enough. My buddies said, "Hey, you want to go the White Sox Home Opener?". "Sure" I said. "You want to go watch the Blackhawks playoff game?" "Sure" I said. "Hey, there's this fundraiser this weekend, Hey there's this benefit this weekend?". "Sure, Sure, I'm in". My 35 pound weight lose quickly became a 25 pound weight lose. 10 pounds back in a blink of an eye......STOP, re-focus, re-adjust, re-commit! Back to the WOD's tomorrow, joined the WholeLifeChallenge that starts in May. Not going to let a little distraction get in the way of the big prize this time. In the past something like this would have sidelined me for months but not this time. With this community and the new friends made at the Box and on these forums, the turn around from bad week to back on track is much shorter now then in the past. Thanks for the support, the knowledge and even the sometimes needed smack in the face to get back to what's important.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:16 AM   #2
Tighe Crovetti

Profile:
Re: Fell off the wagon

My advice: I don't know where you stand with weight numbers, if you have a LOT to lose, then yes, I'd keep your eye on it. However, if not, I'd start to distance yourself from the scale. Try to think more in terms of:

* How much good food have I eaten today/the last two days/the last week?

* How diligent am I being about getting my workouts in?

* How is my performance progressing?

If you are eating a lot/mostly good food, getting to the box 3-5x/week say, (depending on what your real, long-term goals are), and keeping a focus on increasing your strength, achieving new skills/movements, pushing yourself on metcons, etc..., your weight and physical composition will follow in step. In other words, focus on what you can control, the in-the-now factors. To paraphrase a quote I heard: "greatness, is just a series of little things, done well."
Old 04-25-2014, 01:13 AM   #3
Greg Spaight

Profile:

Way to recommit Ron! Be a rock during your 30 day challenge and you will be surprised where you get to.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:21 AM   #4
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Instead of worrying about being super strict about your diet for the duration of a challenge why not just improve your everyday eating to something sustainable year round? Allow yourself to have unhealthier "cheat" meals every now and then so you can stray without feeling like you fell off the wagon.

Focus on sustainability and allow some flexibility, you will likely end up in a better place than if you go super strict, fall off, go super strict again, rinse and repeat. If you feel you need the 30 day challenge to jump start you again then by all means go for it but make sure you have a plan you can stick with once that is over.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:24 AM   #5
Alex Burden

Profile:

You ware always welcome back to your Box to take you back to where you where.

Whatever helped you fall of the wagon will happen again so it is up to you to plan your training.

Life does not have to be boring but it is way more fun if you can do both.

So good luck and kick ***...
Old 04-26-2014, 12:44 PM   #6
Ron Reed

Profile:

Thanks for the replies and advice. I got back in the box this week and boy am I sore. That's what I get for taking a couple of weeks off. I even went super light weight and I'm still hurting. Not complaining though because it's my own fault. Just have to get back in the swing. The challenge is actually 8 weeks but I'm sure I will do well because it's a group effort with others from my box. The reason I starting crossfitting in the first place was due to my lack of self motivation. I've always done better in a group setting. Not sure if it's my competiveness or what but it works. I also have a warrior dash coming up in June. Looking forward to that. Thanks again.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:45 AM   #7
Dawn Elsea

Profile:

Ron,

I think that falling off the wagon happens for most of us at some point. I fell off the wagon and have been laying in a "ditch" the last 6 months as I finished my second master's degree. Really no excuse for my poor eating and adult beverage habits during that time. Gained about 50+ pounds and a huge gut to show for it. At this point, all you can do is be kind to yourself and know that you will get back to it. My gym is incredible and has a very supportive community. Even though I am going back in physically poor shape, humiliated, and very embarrassed, I know they won't judge me. I am grateful for that.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:08 PM   #8
Greg Spaight

Profile:

Dawn - congrats on your asters degree! when exactly are you starting back at the box.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:39 PM   #9
Jon Hanover

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Sirakos View Post
Instead of worrying about being super strict about your diet for the duration of a challenge why not just improve your everyday eating to something sustainable year round? Allow yourself to have unhealthier "cheat" meals every now and then so you can stray without feeling like you fell off the wagon.

Focus on sustainability and allow some flexibility, you will likely end up in a better place than if you go super strict, fall off, go super strict again, rinse and repeat. If you feel you need the 30 day challenge to jump start you again then by all means go for it but make sure you have a plan you can stick with once that is over.
THIS. It is a lifestyle... don't avoid doing fun things because you are striving after goals... unless you are Rich Froning.

Having said that... keep it up! Consistency is king... so just stay consistent with 1-2 cheap meals a week and you'll be good!
Old 05-05-2014, 06:34 PM   #10
Tate Dimech

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reed View Post
I was afraid it would happen and it did. After 8 months of Paleo and 6 months of Crossfit, I have fallen off the wagon. I had lost 35 pounds and made significant strength gains but then I started vacation and my routine went to $h!t. It started innocently enough. My buddies said, "Hey, you want to go the White Sox Home Opener?". "Sure" I said. "You want to go watch the Blackhawks playoff game?" "Sure" I said. "Hey, there's this fundraiser this weekend, Hey there's this benefit this weekend?". "Sure, Sure, I'm in". My 35 pound weight lose quickly became a 25 pound weight lose. 10 pounds back in a blink of an eye......STOP, re-focus, re-adjust, re-commit! Back to the WOD's tomorrow, joined the WholeLifeChallenge that starts in May. Not going to let a little distraction get in the way of the big prize this time. In the past something like this would have sidelined me for months but not this time. With this community and the new friends made at the Box and on these forums, the turn around from bad week to back on track is much shorter now then in the past. Thanks for the support, the knowledge and even the sometimes needed smack in the face to get back to what's important.
Sorry to sound horrible but this is one of the most stupid things I have ever read. You had two weeks off working out and eating 100% paleo, congratulations now you're rested and can hit it hard again. Do you think that maybe you were saying yes because you needed to just relax for a couple of weeks? If you're not a regionals athlete there is no "season" so you can take whatever time off you need.