CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-07-2014, 08:03 PM   #1
Snir Golan

Profile:
looking for help on designing a new program

ok, so first a little background and why i am looking for a new program. i have been doing CF for a couple of years now and have seen great results and have been very happy with my progress for the most part. recently, i am becoming more and more frustrated with my Olympic lifting progress or lack there of and while my strength numbers are going up, i do not feel that what i am doing for the Oly lifting is working. so.. what i would like to do is shift the focus a bit and go back to basics so i can do the Oly lifts the right way.

over the past few weeks, i have been doing a lot of reading and research and now what i would like to do is create a program that will allow me to focus on oly lifting while still continue to grow my strength as well as continue to at least do a few metcons.

after looking at many different programs and templates, i am pretty sure that the Pendlay beginner program is the best option for me since it puts a lot of emphasis on different positions and pulls which allows you to improve basic technique. a basic template will look like this one (link is SFW):

http://www.alltheheavylifting.com/my...fting-program/

since this is a 3 day program, what i thought about doing is using it as a basic template but instead of the complexes which Pendlay puts at the end of each day, i would do a short (3-8) minute CF metcon. in addition, this will leave me with 2 extra days where i can include gymanstic work, longer metcons or the missing strength pieces (bench and deadlifts which are not part of the program).

the end result will be a 5 day program that is focused on Oly Lifting but also include your basic powerlifting (BS, FS, DL, bench and press) and will also allow me to still include CF work that will be used as GPP (i can also setup the metcons to include the accessory work that i need for that day).

any feedback, advice or ideas?
Old 06-08-2014, 08:26 AM   #2
Brendan McNamar

Profile:
Re: looking for help on designing a new program

Join a weightlifting gym, do just enough CrossFit to keep some conditioning and not loose skills. That was my conclusion.

The difference between simply being strong enough to get something over head and to actually being technically strong is huge.

For my age and size I'm a fairly good lifter in the CrossFit world. In the weightlifting world not even close to competitive.

I believe a lot of people after a couple of years of basic CrossFit will start to get more interested in higher level skills like gymnastics and weight lifting.

Once a person's diet, body composition are good, they have built an engine and learned the basics it becomes time to focus on the more technical skills. Things that take time and patience to learn.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:57 AM   #3
Snir Golan

Profile:

i would love to do that and i do plan on checking the only real weightlifting gym in my area but it doesn't get good reviews so far.

if i can get in on the next cycle that they are doing, i might just do that so i can at least try it out and see if it works for me.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:42 PM   #4
Snir Golan

Profile:

Alright, here is what i put together if you want to take a look. i think it needs a few more small adjustment that i will probably figure out after i try it like the metocns but i would appreciate your feedback:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2jghptqrjn...ut%20Plan.xlsx

link is SFW.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:32 AM   #5
Alex Burden

Profile:

Barbellshrugged.com

Is a great place to look for info and technique tips...

this will help you allot
Old 06-10-2014, 07:44 PM   #6
Tate Dimech

Profile:

Don't re-invent the wheel, here is a good program from Catalyst

http://www.catalystathletics.com/wor...php?cycleID=52 (WFS)
Old 06-10-2014, 10:11 PM   #7
Snir Golan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tate Dimech View Post
Don't re-invent the wheel, here is a good program from Catalyst

http://www.catalystathletics.com/wor...php?cycleID=52 (WFS)
Well to be fair, I didn't re invent the wheel. The program I posted is the Pendlay program and all I did was fill in some metcons and other things that I need to work on. All the lifts in the program are directly from Pendlay.

As for the program you posted, it looks great but again, how do I take that and weave in the metcons and skill work?