CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-26-2014, 03:18 PM   #11
Steve M Herman

Profile:
Re: My back squat has been stuck for 1 year

Thanks again for the input everyone.

The general consensus seems to be that it's probably not a form thing. It's probably not an age thing, but it is probably just 1 heavy squat session per week is only preserving the squat numbers and not enough to improve.

I still think it is weird that my front squat numbers continue to climb. It's not like I am doing anything differently that would impact my front squat...

@Mark - you are right. I do a HBBS. When I first started doing CF my gym was teaching the LBBS, but they switched to HBBS a couple weeks later. They wanted more carry over to the Olympic lifts. I'm not even 100% sure I know how to do a LBBS. In all my years of lifting (the past two and then way back in high school) I have always done a HBBS squat. I had never even heard of a LBBS until CF.

The easiest way to mix in more squatting is probably going to be by coming to the gym earlier than the scheduled class time and squat. Then jump into the regular CF class after. Plus I am trying to get to yoga a couple /few times per week... Ugh I need more time in the day!
Old 06-26-2014, 03:24 PM   #12
Steve M Herman

Profile:

I've also made a big commitment to my nutrition lately which I hope will have an affect on everything. I'm about 1 month into a strict Paleo (no Paleo approved sugars) eating program. The biggest change has been swearing off Coca-Cola. I would eat healthy foods, but slam through cases of Coke. God I love that stuff. I've only had 3 or 4 fail meals where I was out with friends/family and I wasn't going to be the guy that goes hungry instead of eating a piece of mom's lasagna.

I'll continue with the healthy eating, go get a DEXA body fat scan in about a month, and then try to add more squats over the coming weeks. I've been considering two-a-days, but the time commitment is difficult. It will probably be another couple months until I try a 1RM squat again, but I'll report back as to how things went.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:42 PM   #13
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M Herman View Post
I've also made a big commitment to my nutrition lately which I hope will have an affect on everything. I'm about 1 month into a strict Paleo (no Paleo approved sugars) eating program. The biggest change has been swearing off Coca-Cola. I would eat healthy foods, but slam through cases of Coke. God I love that stuff. I've only had 3 or 4 fail meals where I was out with friends/family and I wasn't going to be the guy that goes hungry instead of eating a piece of mom's lasagna.

I'll continue with the healthy eating, go get a DEXA body fat scan in about a month, and then try to add more squats over the coming weeks. I've been considering two-a-days, but the time commitment is difficult. It will probably be another couple months until I try a 1RM squat again, but I'll report back as to how things went.
I have a feeling your squat won't get much better if you don't eat enough. You need calories to make your muscles grow and a lot of people eating strict paleo don't get enough calories in to put them in a caloric surplus. Eating clean in itself won't put on muscle, eating enough protein and calories will.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:42 AM   #14
Adam Shreim

Profile:

You could try following the Russian Squat program (Google it). I would try to eat/drink at least a 2:1 ratio of carbsrotein (like 50g:25g or 70g:35g) about 1 hour prior to lifting and hammer away each day. It is a 6 week, 3 days per week program that may give you an edge.

In the grand scheme of things, 6 weeks really isn't that long.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:02 PM   #15
Steve M Herman

Profile:

Well just because I am eating healthy shouldn't also mean I am eating low calorie. Yesterday I had 3 eggs and a piece of fruit. Then a sirloin steak with 1/2 a sweet potato and a beef steak tomato. Dinner was a full costco ribeye, about 8 asparagus spears, and a salad w/ homemade balsamic dressing. Butter on just about everything.

I don't feel like I am going hungry because I am eating Paleo, but I appreciate the reminder to not try and cut and gain at the same time.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:08 PM   #16
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M Herman View Post
Well just because I am eating healthy shouldn't also mean I am eating low calorie. Yesterday I had 3 eggs and a piece of fruit. Then a sirloin steak with 1/2 a sweet potato and a beef steak tomato. Dinner was a full costco ribeye, about 8 asparagus spears, and a salad w/ homemade balsamic dressing. Butter on just about everything.

I don't feel like I am going hungry because I am eating Paleo, but I appreciate the reminder to not try and cut and gain at the same time.
Not saying it definitely means you are eating low calorie, it is just a common thing for people on a paleo diet that is high in fat to eat low calorie because they are often not hungry. For people with a high maintenance calorie level this can provide challenges if the goal is to add muscle.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:46 AM   #17
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Wouldnt that(caloric deficit) also mean that he is loosing weight?
Old 07-02-2014, 03:01 PM   #18
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
Wouldnt that(caloric deficit) also mean that he is loosing weight?
Not sure what your point is. You can be eating in a very small caloric deficit and not really notice much weight loss or you could be eating at maintenance, either way you aren't going to build muscle that way.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:50 PM   #19
Andrew G Parker

Profile:

"Yesterday I had 3 eggs and a piece of fruit. Then a sirloin steak with 1/2 a sweet potato and a beef steak tomato. Dinner was a full costco ribeye, about 8 asparagus spears, and a salad w/ homemade balsamic dressing. Butter on just about everything."

Sounds pretty light if you want to build muscle.

Rough estimate of food calories:

3 eggs (those are big eggs!) 300
Fruit (Large banana/apple. Orange is less) 120
8 oz sirloin 580
large sweet potato 80
Large tomato 35
9 oz ribeye 525
8 asparagus speers 25
2 cups tossed salad 50
2 T. basalmic 90
T. butter 90

=1895 calories

That might be maintenance calories for someone with light activity, and weight loss for the active, but not a formula for building muscle.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:11 PM   #20
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Squatting heavy once a week is cute.

Yeah 531 only does squats once a week but it tacks on assistance leg work. However most Boxes that use 531 just do 531+Wod (which might have lower body exercises). Beyond 531 squats twice a week like GSLP, CFFB, 70sBig, etc.

Being 39 won't help, but try a squat program that squats at least 2 or 3x/week and eat enough protein and carbs.