CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-07-2014, 06:29 PM   #21
Drew Cloutier

Profile:
Re: My back squat has been stuck for 1 year

squatting more than once a week is a not a magic cure nor is it the only way.

Guys like Eric Lilliebridge, Brandon Lilly, Chad Wesley Smith, Kirk Karwoski squat once a week, guys like Jay Nera, Dan Green, Kade Weber, back squat once a week and front squat once a week.

Hell some lifters only squat EVERY OTHER WEEK.

All that to say that many people have gotten world class squats without squatting 5 times a week. Not to say its not something you can't try, but i'm just showing the other side of the coin.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:26 AM   #22
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

1) those also follow Conjugate and with the loads they are squatting, recovery is different. Also bare in mind, that a lot of them aren't spring chickens but neither is OP. Even though they may only squat 1 day a week, they do a metric ****ton of assistance besides prowler and sled work.

2) PED's.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:45 AM   #23
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
1) those also follow Conjugate and with the loads they are squatting, recovery is different. Also bare in mind, that a lot of them aren't spring chickens but neither is OP. Even though they may only squat 1 day a week, they do a metric ****ton of assistance besides prowler and sled work.

2) PED's.
As I understand it conjugate is westside method.

Most of the guys I mentioned do NOT follow westside/conjugate. Think the only guy associated with conjugate/westside in my list is Brandon Lilly.

as to #2 pretty much 99% of the olympic lifters who are on the same level as the guys I mentioned are on PEDs too.

Chad does linear progression and block periodization from what I gather.

Dan Green and Jay Nera train quite similarly and nowhere near conjugate.

and Captain Kirk Karwoski is just a beast/freak but still no conjugate.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:47 AM   #24
Klæmint Vagadal

Profile:

I think you need to prioritize. Do you want you strength numbers to go up, or do want your Wod times to improve? Gaining strength has an tremendous effect on your WOD times. Doing crossfit does not make you strong, it makes you fit, but in order to be a good crossfitter, you need to be strong.

I'd suggest, depending on your available time, that you strength train (and only that, not playing around with Wods and such. You could fool around with some skill work though) 3-4 times a week, and have 1-2 GPP days, where you do some medium intensity cardio, Tabata KB Swings/Thrusters/something, sled dragging, farmers walk, burpees ect. Something that does not put your pulse in the red zone, or compromise your recovery.

And there is no need to go on a kamikaze Russian squat routine. Save it for when you've stalled at 600 pounds and won two Olympic titles.

And don't be fooled by the guy who tells you that Good Mornings, Glute Ham Raises, Single-legged-split-bulgarian-overhead-jerk-squat-clean improves your back squat. Back squatting improves your back squat, and very close relatives, like front squat, paused squats, squat from pins ect.

I'd also try to increase my squatting frequency to 3 times a week, with one High Bar Back Squat, and two other very close movements. Doing high rep work is good, once in a while, but in order to get stronger, you need to move heavy weights, low reps. And do it frequent.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:51 PM   #25
Richard Colon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Cloutier View Post
squatting more than once a week is a not a magic cure nor is it the only way.

Guys like Eric Lilliebridge, Brandon Lilly, Chad Wesley Smith, Kirk Karwoski squat once a week, guys like Jay Nera, Dan Green, Kade Weber, back squat once a week and front squat once a week.

Hell some lifters only squat EVERY OTHER WEEK.

All that to say that many people have gotten world class squats without squatting 5 times a week. Not to say its not something you can't try, but i'm just showing the other side of the coin.
wait what? Every human on the planet that isn't already at an advanced to elite level at something will benefit, improve and increase in the very thing they are trying to improve in by doing one simple thing. Doing more of that thing. With that caveat of "so long as they are doing it correctly" (eating right, proper recovery, actual squatting correctly, sort of, well duh stuff).
Old 07-08-2014, 11:36 PM   #26
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Quote:
And there is no need to go on a kamikaze Russian squat routine. Save it for when you've stalled at 600 pounds and won two Olympic titles.
The Russian Squat Routines of the 70's are not as intense as Smolov or Sheiko.

1974 isn't as rough as 1976 though the harder version of 1974 is definitely not a joke.

Even though both 74/76 alternate days of heavy and light squatting, that may or may not work for a Master athlete.

Something that squats 2d/wk and dl 1, I think would be easier on a Master athlete.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:26 AM   #27
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Colon View Post
wait what? Every human on the planet that isn't already at an advanced to elite level at something will benefit, improve and increase in the very thing they are trying to improve in by doing one simple thing. Doing more of that thing. With that caveat of "so long as they are doing it correctly" (eating right, proper recovery, actual squatting correctly, sort of, well duh stuff).
Okay lets hear you tell Eric Lilliebridge or Dan Green or any of those guys they are doing it wrong would have higher squat numbers if they squatted more often...

Well they are living proof that, that is not always the case. Lets face it there comes a point like everything else when more is not better. When you are squatting in the 700+ range your body and CNS takes a beating, and unlike WL where the squat is an accessory to the comp lifts, in PL the squat IS a comp lift, so naturally there are differences.

The guys I specifically mentioned are RAW lifters not geared, so that's not an excuse.

You're argument that THAT is the only way, has been disproven!

Hell even the guys who say yes to squatting several times a week say they would NEVER do it with deadlifts, so I do think your answer is a tad to general in its view.

you'll make more gains as a newb doing just the main lifts several times a week, hence why you have programs like 5x5 and SS for beginners.

Not saying that squatting 2-3 times a week and benching 2 times a week can't help your lifts...but I am saying its not THE ONLY thing that can help.

Like I said some guys like Dan Green who are record holders in multiple weight classes and categories (with knee wraps and without) back squat only once a week, he does front squat once a week too.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:27 PM   #28
Klæmint Vagadal

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Cloutier View Post
Okay lets hear you tell Eric Lilliebridge or Dan Green or any of those guys they are doing it wrong would have higher squat numbers if they squatted more often...

Well they are living proof that, that is not always the case. Lets face it there comes a point like everything else when more is not better. When you are squatting in the 700+ range your body and CNS takes a beating, and unlike WL where the squat is an accessory to the comp lifts, in PL the squat IS a comp lift, so naturally there are differences.

The guys I specifically mentioned are RAW lifters not geared, so that's not an excuse.

You're argument that THAT is the only way, has been disproven!

Hell even the guys who say yes to squatting several times a week say they would NEVER do it with deadlifts, so I do think your answer is a tad to general in its view.

you'll make more gains as a newb doing just the main lifts several times a week, hence why you have programs like 5x5 and SS for beginners.

Not saying that squatting 2-3 times a week and benching 2 times a week can't help your lifts...but I am saying its not THE ONLY thing that can help.

Like I said some guys like Dan Green who are record holders in multiple weight classes and categories (with knee wraps and without) back squat only once a week, he does front squat once a week too.
What Lilliebridge does, or does not do, is completely irrelevant. When you are on PED's, you can get away with a lot of more, then clean. And I highly doubt Lilliebridge does no other squat variant besides his one squat session. If I remember correctly, I've seen (YouTube) him do front squats, too. Saying Dan and other guys only squat once a week is simply not true.

Dan also trains Paused High Bar Squats. Does that not count as a squat session? What about deadlift from blocks, or deficit? That's not deadlifting?

Doing something that has high strength carry over to your main lift does count as a squat/bench/deadlift session. However, doing lunges, step-ups, pistols and such does not count as a squat session.

And I'd also like to hear why squatting is different for WL'ers, than PL'ers, just because it's an assistance lift? 600 pounds on the bar, is 600 pounds on the bar, whether you're a weightlifter, strongman, or a ballerina.

Just because someone is strong, big, or whatever, does not mean the person is training in the most optimal way. Mike Mentzer trained one body part, once a week and was huge and had an epic beard. But would you recommend someone to train like him? I sure hope not.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:34 PM   #29
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

It begs the question, what did he do in his development years?
Old 07-09-2014, 01:41 PM   #30
Klæmint Vagadal

Profile:

Well, he sure didn't do High Intensity Training or Heavy Duty Work, or whatever he called it. My best guess would be an old school fullbody routine, three times a week (squat every session, btw) Those never go out of style.