CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-27-2014, 03:52 AM   #1
Simon Zeitler

Profile:
Extra gymnastics training?

Hey Guys,

after some months of CF im seeing that my biggest weekness are the gymnastics skills as I never did these in my childhood.

Is there any extra training that you would enter to perform better there, because I fear in our box the gymnastics part is a little behind.

I had the following ideas:
- parkour / martial arts groups?
- Capoeira?
- Yoga?
- professional gymnast club?

I dont know where to start directly, but doyou consider one or many of these an option?

Thanks and WOD on,

Simon
Old 06-27-2014, 11:25 PM   #2
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Extra gymnastics training?

Maybe at a professional gymnastic club but TBH, just put some time into the proper progressions. Many adult gymnastics classes are only the equivalent of open gym being a time to work on skills. It really depends.

You can also look into the online gymnastics fitness programs.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:39 AM   #3
Larry Bruce

Profile:

Very few people took gymnastics as a child.

You can also look at various gymnastics training online which are helpful. Blair posted a number of these before. Just working on basic things at home can make a difference. It may be enough that you don't need to join another club.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:17 AM   #4
Larry Larned

Profile:

I'm not sure what Blair posted before, but I'm sure it is good stuff.

This has helped me tremendously. The first link is an explanation of the program and the second is the day-by-day work. Go back through the archives to find some great progressions. I suggest you watch all of the videos and follow it from the beginning if you can.

http://theoutlawway.com/doctrine/out...vity-doctrine/ (WFS)
http://theoutlawway.com/category/connectivity/ (WFS)

Hope this helps.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:00 PM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Off the top of my head there are:

Overcoming Gravity, a book by Steven Low. Offers forum support on EMI and Reddit.

Beastskills.com by Jim Bathhurst. Daily clinics and website tutorials.

Convict Conditioning 1/2 by Dragondoor.

Al Kavadlo's books on Dragondoor. A bw book, one about using a bar and another about stretching.

GymnasticBodies by Christopher Sommer, a book out of print and now focusing on online video and programming offering forum support in module format. Used to have a daily WOD but that was scrapped as it was thought to be better for intermediate to advanced trainees and a proper program was preferred. Also offers a lot of seminars these days. 2 day seminars and there is 1 affiliate gym in Denver.

Crossfitgymnastics.com by Tucker and CFgymnastics, this is more of a hybrid CF+Gymnastics programming besides seminars. Also has a book out. 2 day seminars.

GymnasticsWOD.com by Carl Paoli, seminars and has a book coming out. Blend of gymnastics skills and strength tutorials. I see the programming more of an additional module that can be added to general crossfit training than a standalone program. Also offers daily seminars. Dusty Hyland has some articles on breaking muscle besides the website. Sean Lind also offers online programming.

Ido Portal who is a Poliquin student holding their cert and focuses on his acrobatics & capoeira and his online programming focusing on Gymnastics Strength Training and Poliquin principles. Formerly under Sommer until a spat.

GoldMedalbodies, online programming and instruction via module format (who actually came out with the module format first).

http://www.strengthproject.com/ by Sam Tribble offering ebooks and some videos on youtube

Roger Harrell's DrillsandSkills website focusing more on Artistic Gymnastics rather than Gymnastics Strength Training. Through athleticslog.com there are plenty of gymnastics conditioning wods including a daily wod. He does have a 3 week program on BreakingMuscle.com http://breakingmuscle.com/coaches/roger-harrell

I do believe that's about it. All WFS.

I think it gets down to your priority of gymnastics and how much $$ you got to spend. Don't have any, check out the free resources and try to piecemeal something together. Have a bit of money, buy a book or online module; especially if you want online support. Have you even more money, go to a seminar.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:17 PM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Considering that gymnastics in CF focuses on:

1. Wall headstand pushup often referred as a HS pushup. Obviously being comfortable in even a wall handstand helps this a lot. Master the basic pushup and dip first. The Wall headstand pushup can be done by those with only basic dip strength. Extended ROM HSPU require far more strength (unless kipping) and free HSPU obviously require a good handstand.

2. Kipping pullups. Sort of gymnastics, I mean it's based on a pullup but uses the basic gymnastics hollow>arch to build momentum and you have to figure out the rhythm and timing for connected kipping pullups. That same kip is used in K2E and T2B.

3. K2E and T2B. A T2B is a hanging leg lift but can be done with bent knees and a K2E is a tuck up into sort of a tuck FL by engaging the lats to pull the body to horizontal.

4. Pistols.

5. Muscle-ups on bar and rings.

6. Rope climbing. Technically gymnastics but a pretty low skill movement besides the leg wrap techniques. Get strong and know how to use the rope to wrap when you can do them with legs. Sometimes kipped when legless which is fine but means you are either tired or weak.

7. L-sit holds and hollow/arch holds/rocks. Kindergarten gymnastics but difficult for adults learning late or big adults due to levers.

So basically 7 families of skills. A lot of this mainly going through the progressions and spending the time training them. Some require proper strength bases but then use kipping at times.

Party tricks:

Handstand walking, obviously these are being competed at the Regional and Games level but nothing below

Backward roll on rings to support (Backwards felge)

Ring Handstand pushups, we haven't seen these free standing but with straps during WOD's, and Regionals or Games.

Iron Crosses

Handsprings or saltos, aerials.

Thomas flairs and breakdancing

One arm handstands and handstand acro on objects.

Acro silks and trapeze stuff.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:27 AM   #7
Larry Larned

Profile:

Thanks, Blair.
Of the "7 families" which do you think is the most important as far as overall fitness goes. Also, how would you suggest one transitions from wall handstands into HS walks?
Old 06-29-2014, 06:19 PM   #8
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

The strict muscle-up as it is a blend of pull and push strength besides requiring midline control to some degree.

From the wall handstand, practicing Handstand shoulder taps which are shifting to one hand as the other taps the shoulder.

That and playing with the wall HS until you can pull your toes off the wall into a free balancing HS.

You start this for by pulling one foot off the wall and then switching from one foot to the other with a tapping/bouncing action. Then bouncing both insteps off the wall at the same time into a free HS momentarily.

There are some other drills besides like walking sideways in a Wall HS.

Preferably all stomach to wall.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:09 AM   #9
Simon Zeitler

Profile:

Thank you all for your great help in this

Yeah I would just love to put in some extra work to perform better, just concerning midline stability in all excercices, flexibility and so one... And I think gymnastics is a great way to improve this, and to have fun playing around.

I also love the convict conditioning, BarStarzz stuff that sounds like fun and would also be a big goal for me to achieve
Old 07-02-2014, 11:18 PM   #10
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Yeah, I think there are some Barstarz and what not that offer programs but I don't really follow them other than watching the occasional video.