CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-13-2014, 01:58 AM   #1
Nate Daniel

Profile:
Quick Question

Hey guys, got a question for abyone willing to kick me some advice. I just recently got to Camp Humphreys and found they have an affiliate here for us, I have never been able to workout at a box with actual trainers. My goals for this year have been mainly strength gains and a little skill improvement. I have been able to accomplish these goals and would really like to keep making strength gains, however, I have the opportunity to workout a a box for free here, and have coaches that I feel will make drastic improvements to my skill work and metcons. But looking at their programming, they dont lift anywhere near what I would want. Should I utilize this opportunity and just put my strength goals to the side? Or should I blend the 2?
Old 07-13-2014, 04:43 AM   #2
Matthew S Cooper

Profile:
Re: Quick Question

You should adhere to whatever personal goals you have set for yourself.

If there is a way to speak to the trainers about what your goals are, then that would be my first step. They may be willing to help you reach your specific goal(s), and if they aren't willing or equipped to do so, I'd hope they are honest and up front about it.

Give it a try and see how it goes.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:12 PM   #3
Dakota Base

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Daniel View Post
My goals for this year have been mainly strength gains and a little skill improvement...
When you say "strength gains," to what context are you referring? "Strength gains" in Crossfit aren't the same as 'strength gains' in power lifting or raw strength. Since you lump 'strength and skill' together, I'm prone to believe you're talking about upping your capacity in the context of Crossfit. If not, then skip the box entirely, and focus on moving weight.

Quote:
I have the opportunity to workout a a box for free here, and have coaches that I feel will make drastic improvements to my skill work and metcons. But looking at their programming, they dont lift anywhere near what I would want...
Have you emailed, phoned, or otherwise discussed your goals with the coaches at the new Box? Their standard programming, i.e. that which might be found on their website, might not be comprehensive for the coaching they offer. Skills are on your hit list, and by your own admission, the Box would help improve that. Maybe you can work with the coaches to swap out some of the MetCon work for strength development, and you all get what you need.

Quote:
Should I utilize this opportunity and just put my strength goals to the side?
If you were a Nascar driver, would you train at a Monster Truck driving camp? Your goals are your goals. If the Box won't bend their programming to suit your goals, then you have to decide whether you want to drive monster trucks or Nascar (i.e. change your goals), or find a proper spot for you to work out towards your goals. Ultimately, it's up to you.

Quote:
Or should I blend the 2?
I wouldn't really blend the two. Two halves of separated programs don't always make a whole. You might get lucky and the two can synchronize simply, but you also might find that they are counterproductive, detracting from gain potential in either area.

I'd also keep a close eye on your required PT; you don't want to end up with programming conflicts between required PT and your strength and/or Crossfit training.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:42 AM   #4
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Yes you should work with them. If they are decent coaches they should be able to provide a large improvement in technique in a short period of time. When the learning slows down make your decision.

It is not that hard to add some extra lifting on top if you want to speed up the strength building. Just make sure you are eating enough and sleeping well.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:38 AM   #5
Nate Daniel

Profile:

Thanks for the responses everyone! I know I wasn't real clear about my goals. But I went in today, talked to the coaches, they are awesome, and willing to help me make it more strength biased. Did my first WOD with them today, and absolutely love the atmosphere and having other people to train with for once!