CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-13-2014, 06:35 PM   #1
Victor Sellers

Profile:
1st time Fran today

So, I did Fran for the first time today, doing Crossfit now for about 8 months, I'm a lil larger than the avg guy doing crossfit I think, I'm 6'2 250lbs. My first every Fran time today 6:38...trying to see how I fare with the rest of the folks on the board, especially the rookies like myself
Old 07-14-2014, 03:35 PM   #2
Eric R Cohen

Profile:
Re: 1st time Fran today

Pretty good. Lot's of first timers struggle with 45lbs. With your size I imagine the thrusters are pretty easy and the pullups a bit harder. For many CFer's it's the opposite.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:56 PM   #3
Victor Sellers

Profile:

Yes, the thrusters weren't to bad, pull ups are harder on me, I can butterfly 8-10 in a row, when I get a good rhythm going, which helps. Going to do it again in about 6 weeks
Old 07-15-2014, 08:50 AM   #4
Adam Shreim

Profile:

My first Fran was between 10 and 11 minutes. Looks like you're off to a good start.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:17 PM   #5
Victor Sellers

Profile:

Thank you sir, I've been training for about 8 months now, got a great coach and I'm part of a great box, consistently good programming is where the credit is due, I'm just now starting to do the girls, will be interesting to see how they end up
Old 07-16-2014, 07:45 AM   #6
Matthew S Cooper

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Sellers View Post
...I'm just now starting to do the girls, will be interesting to see how they end up
Pregnant (if you don't use contraceptive). Sorry, I had to. :-)

Seems like you did pretty well for a first time through. Having good coaches and programming goes a long way, whether in crossfit or other sports.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:30 PM   #7
Larry Larned

Profile:

That's a great start... congrats!

Why are you planning on trying again in six weeks? I feel like that is a pretty short period of time to make any significant improvement. I've been there, and found myself to be pretty disappointed when my time didn't improve much / at all. I'd say that you continue to follow your box's programming, add some extra strict/weighted/kipping pull up work, and maybe add some heavier (115) thrusters every now and then.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:03 AM   #8
Brian Diez

Profile:

Nice job. My first time was 13 minutes with strict pullups in a globo gym.

I only recently got under 4min after 6 years.

I'll break 3 min yet.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:59 AM   #9
Victor Sellers

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Larned View Post
That's a great start... congrats!

Why are you planning on trying again in six weeks? I feel like that is a pretty short period of time to make any significant improvement. I've been there, and found myself to be pretty disappointed when my time didn't improve much / at all. I'd say that you continue to follow your box's programming, add some extra strict/weighted/kipping pull up work, and maybe add some heavier (115) thrusters every now and then.
i think i have done a little better, everyone warned me on how bad it was, so i paced myself pretty good, i think i can prob break 6mins, i wanted to wait about 6 weeks, becuase i wanted to try a few of the other workouts before Fran again.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:16 PM   #10
Maurice Mayfield Jr

Profile:

my 1st time was 11 min 1 1/2 later 4.15 and I'm 41 and to 235 good job keep up the good work