CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-20-2014, 12:03 AM   #1
Jeffbmitchell

Profile:
crossfit equipment advice

Im wanting to start crossfit at home. And im wanting to buy battle ropes im thinking 1.5 x 50 foot. Also what is the normal size that I need for slam balls, wallball. And also what sizes of kettlebells. Im 6'2 280 very overweight and want to start off with this stuff I already have a bar and weights. But interested in this stuff for now. Thanks for your help guys
Old 08-20-2014, 08:17 AM   #2
Miles Roberts

Profile:
Re: crossfit equipment advice

The box I go to has slam balls in increments from 20 lb up to 40 lb. Depends on what you want to do with them. If it were me, I'd probably get a 20lb wall ball, and maybe a 30 lb slam ball. If a workout calls for slam balls, you can pretty much use the wall ball if it calls for 20 lb. FYI, when a CF workout calls for wall balls, it typically means 20 lb for men and 14 lb for women. For kettlebells, it just depends really on how much you want to spend. I wouldn't start out with KB snatches with over 35 lb I don't think. At the same time, I've seen workouts call for 70 lb KB swings. You could get a 35, 45, and 55 lb KB and those would last you a long time, I would think. Can't help you with the ropes though.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:55 AM   #3
Jeffbmitchell

Profile:

Would the sandbells be a better choice then the kettlebells. I heard they are safer and better
Old 08-20-2014, 11:32 AM   #4
Christopher Morris

Profile:

A 1.5" x 50' battle rope is exactly what I've got. I bought a 25' length first, and it didn't seem to have the weight resistance I expected. I returned it and got the 50'. It's much better. I also prefer the polypropelene rope for battle exercises. It has more snakiness than a manila rope.

Some wallball manufacturers do not recommend using them for slam exercises. You can, but the ball may get lopsided and wonky.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:24 PM   #5
Jeffbmitchell

Profile:

Where is a good cheap place to get the rope
Old 08-20-2014, 01:15 PM   #6
Christopher Morris

Profile:

If I remember, I got my battle rope from Christian Fitness Factory.

https://christiansfitnessfactory.com...-battling.html (wfs)

$77.99 for 50' polypropylene rope

I had some strap webbing and an old carabiner at home, so I didn't buy any accessories. I made my own attachment. CFF has some good options for accessories. If you have a tree or something to wrap it around you don't need a hook attachment.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:07 PM   #7
Clint Harris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffbmitchell View Post
Im wanting to start crossfit at home. And im wanting to buy battle ropes im thinking 1.5 x 50 foot. Also what is the normal size that I need for slam balls, wallball. And also what sizes of kettlebells. Im 6'2 280 very overweight and want to start off with this stuff I already have a bar and weights. But interested in this stuff for now. Thanks for your help guys

Slam ball is more versatile. You can wall ball with a slam ball, but it is more difficult and somewhat dangerous to slam ball with a wall ball. You won't really be able to slam the wall ball otherwise you'll lose your face - If you ghost ride it down to prevent this, then you'll lose a large portion of the benefit. Sure, a slam ball landing on your face during wall-ball won't be a great experience either, but that should be a pretty manageable and rare thing - it is, at least, when I do it.
Overhead toss a slam ball and it stays put when it lands, overhead toss a wall ball and it'll roll and bounce everywhere.
I wouldn't even bother with a wall ball. Waste of money when starting out.

The weight itself isn't that much of a concern - or at least, don't get too hung up on a "man weight". As you progress you will get heavier weights, however, to begin with 20# (for any ball) may be too much if you aren't conditioned for it. Both of these exercises have the uncanny ability to empty your lungs and ratchet up your heart rate in an instant. You don't want to train slow or break up a set of 10 wall or slam balls into 5x2 - because that's exactly what seems to happen when someone grabs the big ball.
I feel like this may be the one thing you want to focus on - how conditioned are you? I'm thinking not really so don't go too heavy. Eventually, you'll look back on this and think 20# or 30# isn't much, but for now, I'm betting you'll gas out really quickly or short your movement if you grab too much. Maybe even not enjoy it enough and give up.

If I were you in you're current state. Get a 15# slam ball. Your initial intensity will be able to be higher. As you get stronger, go faster or longer into the sets (like 20 wall/slam balls at a time instead of 10). Eventually, you will need more weight but when you do, that 15# ball will still be useful for many things. Maybe you are tired or are a little injured. Maybe you have a lady friend working out with you. All good. They are conditioning tools so you want to be able to move them quickly and go for sustained periods. Eventually you'll be like pfffftttt, I can do 50 of these in under a minute, so then you'll want more weight (that may be a good benchmark - can you do 50 in 60s or less and unbroken. If so, move up. If not, keep working at it)

Kettlebell is the same deal. Get a 1pd and you'll be able to do a lot with it. Eventually it will become too light to swing - however - by then it will be a good weight for recovery or warm up, even some wods, maybe learn Turkish getups, one arm movement, etc.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:30 PM   #8
Jeffbmitchell

Profile:

Wow thanks for taking the time to explain that. That is great info. Yea im not conditioned at all, but I dont want to buy too small of weight and then have to go buy a bigger ball in a few weeks or month.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:11 PM   #9
Steve M Herman

Profile:

The magic of CrossFit is even if the weight is too light then you can just go faster and longer and still get an effective workout.

I remember doing my first "Grace" workout. It is 30 clean & jerks for time with 135 pounds. I used to compete in Olympic weightlifting so my form was great when I walked in the door. I was one month into CrossFit and it was my first RX'd workout. It was an ego thing.

It took me 11:30 minutes to complete the workout. Grace isn't supposed to take that long. I probably should have tried it with 95 pounds and finished in about 6 - 7 minutes. Now I can complete Grace with 135 pounds in 3:03.

I modified weights and movements regularly for about 4 months before I was competent enough to complete the workouts as they were prescribed.

I might not be explaining this well, but my point is that going with a lighter weight might actually result in a better workout. Even if it is too light you can basically sprint through the workout. You'll be gassed as long as you give it full effort. As you become more experienced you'll have a feel for when you need to buy more weight.

One of the best skills you can learn as you begin CrossFit is your limits. Knowing that you can push harder and knowing where you need to pull back is an important skill to be mindful of. Many tweaks, strains, and injuries resulted from someone that went too hard too soon.

A CrossFit workout may look and feel like a sprint at times, but the CrossFit methodology to improve your fitness is more like a marathon. No one individual day or workout is going to make a difference. It is the cumulative effect that will create results.

Buying a lighter weight that you upgrade later doesn't mean that the lighter weight won't be used ever again. You'll find creative ways to incorporate it if you want. (Think about a 15 pound weighted pistols to counter balance yourself if you have limited ankle mobility).
Old 08-21-2014, 02:13 AM   #10
Alex Burden

Profile:

The important thing for you is to make sure what you intend on doing you do correctly.

Its better to do the things right from day 1 than waste your time doing exercises incorrectly.

Take your time and it will pay off big time.

And ask those in this forum for input and inspiration, because it is not always fun and it is easy to hop over things or work outs.

Good luck