CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-21-2014, 02:16 AM   #11
Alex Burden

Profile:
Re: crossfit equipment advice

1 more thing...

Start a workout log on the forum so we can see how you progress and when you need help there will always be someone to help out

Remember you are not alone and you will be an inspiration to others.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:21 PM   #12
Dakota Base

Profile:

Battle ropes are two things: 1) Expensive, 2) extremely overrated. On a relative basis, the return on investment in terms of cost per utilization and workout versatility, the battle ropes are a one trick pony.

KB's are functional and versatile.

Slam balls can be used as wall balls, they're just a more expensive wall ball. Pick one weight.

Don't get too caught up on having everything that a Box has, or everything you see on the main page. Crossfit has seemed to have gotten caught up in itself and has gone looking for random pieces of equipment that will make it stand out, but 90% of it is just superfluous. KB's, barbells, bumpers, squat rack, jump rope, and pull up rig. Jump boxes are fantastic endurance building units. Sleds, battle ropes, yokes, tractor tires, atlas stones, etc etc etc, so many of these things are only useful for one movement type, and not worth the investment.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:54 PM   #13
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Base View Post
Sleds, battle ropes, yokes, tractor tires, atlas stones, etc etc etc, so many of these things are only useful for one movement type, and not worth the investment.
1) Depends on how much you invest in said piece of equipment, and,
2) I don't necessarily agree that all of those examples are useful for only one movement type. For example, my Rogue yoke is one of my more versatile pieces of equipment. It's also one of my more expensive pieces, but its versatility and quality makes it more than worth the $.

- Mark
Old 08-26-2014, 04:39 PM   #14
Steven Wingo

Profile:

Jeff I'm going to echo the comments of some who have suggested to go lighter with the weight and make sure you first develop good form. I work with lots of new folks who are out of shape and come in to classes needing lots of scaling. We stick to light weight and simple movements and work on form and metabolic conditioning. Just going through the movements is quite taxing for most of them for a month or so. At your size, you will already be moving lots of weight with wall balls, slam balls, air squats, any body weight movement. You won't need lots of extra weight for awhile. I'd error on the side of going light with your purchases for now. Maybe a 35# KB and a 15# or 20# slam ball.

Remember that your strength work will be primarily with your already existing weights. The KBs and slam ball will be primarily for metcons where you are focused on power production not strength. You don't need lots of weight to produce high power and will have ample room to progress by first getting your form down then speeding up the movement. Way too many athletes want to do Rx weights, which is usually programmed for regionals level athletes and is way to heavy for them for a metcon, and their progress is slower.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:03 PM   #15
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Quote:
Battle ropes are two things: 1) Expensive, 2) extremely overrated. On a relative basis, the return on investment in terms of cost per utilization and workout versatility, the battle ropes are a one trick pony.
There is some truth to this. Battle ropes have different exercises that work the body in mostly similar ways. It may have limited versatility, but I really enjoy using it as part of my warm up. It starts out being great for arms, shoulder, abs, and once you add jump squats or lunges it's great for legs too.

The battle rope wasn't high on my wish list. I got a bunch of other stuff before I got my battle rope.

Quote:
Sleds, battle ropes, yokes, tractor tires, atlas stones, etc etc etc, so many of these things are only useful for one movement type, and not worth the investment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
1) Depends on how much you invest in said piece of equipment, and,
2) I don't necessarily agree that all of those examples are useful for only one movement type. For example, my Rogue yoke is one of my more versatile pieces of equipment. It's also one of my more expensive pieces, but its versatility and quality makes it more than worth the $.
Some equipment may have limited versatility, but it's worth it if that's the best way to do a given exercise. Can you do sit ups below parallel without a GHD? Probably, but a GHD is the best piece of equipment to do it. Back extensions and glute-ham raises are also easiest on a GHD. It's a limited piece of equipment but pretty vital if you want to do those exercises.

I'm wanting a reverse hyper too, but I don't want my home gym to become an equipment garden like the big box gyms. I must draw the line somewhere....
Old 09-02-2014, 07:41 AM   #16
Dakota Base

Profile:

I'm not saying that certain equipment isn't useful, but I did specifically say that certain equipment is only useful for an extremely limited set of movements. I've owned a yoke for 20yrs, I've yet to find any evidence that I consider it to be a remotely versatile piece of equipment. Atlas stones as well (made a set about 15yrs ago). I OWN a lot of these pieces of equipment, so I know how much they get touched through a practical programming plan - it ain't much compared to other items.

My point is this: if you have a limited grocery list and you find yourself with chicken breast in one hand and caviar in the other hand, it makes a lot more sense to have a freezer full of chicken before you buy any caviar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Morris View Post
...Some equipment may have limited versatility, but it's worth it if that's the best way to do a given exercise...

...but I don't want my home gym to become an equipment garden like the big box gyms. I must draw the line somewhere....
That's my point.

Home gyms, like all gyms everywhere, all have 2 things in common, 1) limited space, 2) limited budget.

The problem we have is that quite often the most expensive items are the least versatile. It'd be a crime if a home box had a C2 rower but didn't have a proper set of bumpers. Opportunity cost vs. versatility investment. Sunk cost into a set of battle ropes or a GHD or yoke or whatever might be worth it if you have other higher priority items, but they don't make sense if you're displacing something more versatile in terms of foundational movements.

And a guy has to weigh the opportunity cost and payback period of a home gym against a Box or other gym membership. I'm not saying a guy needs to scale IRR or estimate NPV, but if a guy can have access to the same or more equipment, PLUS TRAINING/COACHING, for $100 a month, or could do essentially the same workout at a YMCA or other traditional gym for $30, your home equipment investment has to make sense. If you add up the investments a guy might make into his "home box" compared to what a membership at a gym that HAS all of that equipment already might cost, it really has to make financial and logistical sense. It doesn't serve anybody to spend $10,000 on home equipment when they could get ~10yrs at a Box and receive better value, or ~30yrs at a traditional gym for that same investment.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:53 PM   #17
Jon Hanover

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffbmitchell View Post
Im wanting to start crossfit at home. And im wanting to buy battle ropes im thinking 1.5 x 50 foot. Also what is the normal size that I need for slam balls, wallball. And also what sizes of kettlebells. Im 6'2 280 very overweight and want to start off with this stuff I already have a bar and weights. But interested in this stuff for now. Thanks for your help guys
Slam balls just starting out? I'd go 20lb...
Wall ball for men is 20lb, but maybe get a 20lb and 10lb
Kettlebells... again i'd get a range of 8kg, 16kg and 24kg and grow into it.
I went with a local supplier, but they sell online too
http://www.repfitness.com/conditioni...ine-wall-balls WFS

Maybe just get the lighter stuff to start, then grab a few heavier items in a few months once you feel comfortable. best of luck man!
Old 09-18-2014, 04:26 PM   #18
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

Quote:
I'm not saying that certain equipment isn't useful, but I did specifically say that certain equipment is only useful for an extremely limited set of movements. I've owned a yoke for 20yrs, I've yet to find any evidence that I consider it to be a remotely versatile piece of equipment. Atlas stones as well (made a set about 15yrs ago). I OWN a lot of these pieces of equipment, so I know how much they get touched through a practical programming plan - it ain't much compared to other items.

My point is this: if you have a limited grocery list and you find yourself with chicken breast in one hand and caviar in the other hand, it makes a lot more sense to have a freezer full of chicken before you buy any caviar.

That's my point.

Home gyms, like all gyms everywhere, all have 2 things in common, 1) limited space, 2) limited budget.

The problem we have is that quite often the most expensive items are the least versatile. It'd be a crime if a home box had a C2 rower but didn't have a proper set of bumpers. Opportunity cost vs. versatility investment. Sunk cost into a set of battle ropes or a GHD or yoke or whatever might be worth it if you have other higher priority items, but they don't make sense if you're displacing something more versatile in terms of foundational movements.

And a guy has to weigh the opportunity cost and payback period of a home gym against a Box or other gym membership. I'm not saying a guy needs to scale IRR or estimate NPV, but if a guy can have access to the same or more equipment, PLUS TRAINING/COACHING, for $100 a month, or could do essentially the same workout at a YMCA or other traditional gym for $30, your home equipment investment has to make sense. If you add up the investments a guy might make into his "home box" compared to what a membership at a gym that HAS all of that equipment already might cost, it really has to make financial and logistical sense. It doesn't serve anybody to spend $10,000 on home equipment when they could get ~10yrs at a Box and receive better value, or ~30yrs at a traditional gym for that same investment.

I COMPLETELY agree!!

limited budget and limited space my list would be:

Power Rack (with DIY platform)
200-300kg of bumpers (with 1kg rule set)
maybe an extra 300lbs of steel plates
KBs 8kg up to 40kg
C2 Rower
Jump box
1 PL bar
1 multi purpose bar or 1 oly bar
Med balls
Slam Balls
jump rope
ironmaster adjustable dumbbells
Adustable bench
Dip attachment
GHD

You could put all that in a 1 car garage and workout 1-2 people at a time.