CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-04-2014, 05:17 PM   #1
Eric Parham

Profile:
Went to my first "box"

Hey guys/ladies,
I have been a bodybuilder in the past and I just went to my first box this past week. I decided to go to one that is owned by a guy a have known for some time now.
I am not in the same shape/condition I was in a couple of years ago, but still what most consider above average. The two WODs I have done have made me sore, but I am very focused of my form with the new movements I am learning, like overhead squat.

For anyone that has been a bodybuilder in the past….how did you change your mindset from going to strict isolation to using momentum as an additional tool?

It is so hard to not just press the weight up, but instead use this controlled momentum. I know practice is key…but tips that have helped other would be cool.
I have military pressed 315 for 10 reps (smith machine) **youtube video posted of this site already
Squat 405 X 20 reps (free standing)
So believing that using momentum is going to be safe using that amount of weight has me concerned……but I have a lot to learn about cross fit.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:54 PM   #2
Chris Jones

Profile:
Re: Went to my first "box"

Hey Eric, this may not be exactly what youre asking but when you do weight portions of workouts youll be using the same form that you used for your bodybuilding. For instance strict presses, squats, DLs and bench press will all be the same. Now when you get into push press and jerking it will be a little different, but the weight will be much lower as well. Keep in mind, your strength numbers are very high, but youll almost never see a 405# squat in a WOD or a 315# press. And even if it did show up somewhere, it would be in very low reps and it would most likely be a longer, more strength oriented workout.

So my advice is to just practice form and good movement on the moves that youre new to, and use lighter weights to drill volume and muscle memory.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:38 AM   #3
Eric Parham

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jones View Post
Hey Eric, this may not be exactly what youre asking but when you do weight portions of workouts youll be using the same form that you used for your bodybuilding. For instance strict presses, squats, DLs and bench press will all be the same. Now when you get into push press and jerking it will be a little different, but the weight will be much lower as well. Keep in mind, your strength numbers are very high, but youll almost never see a 405# squat in a WOD or a 315# press. And even if it did show up somewhere, it would be in very low reps and it would most likely be a longer, more strength oriented workout.

So my advice is to just practice form and good movement on the moves that youre new to, and use lighter weights to drill volume and muscle memory.
Yeah, that is what I was worried about was the Jerking movements. I am very new and have a lot to learn about the structure of cross fit.
My concern was that half through my 2nd WOD my instructor added more weight to my barbell because it "looked to easy" for me. And being a of a bodybuilder mindset, I did not really care about the weight just getting the form down. Which my cross fit form on the jerking movements is way off.
I guess with time I will work it all out as I learn.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:42 PM   #4
Chris Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Parham View Post
Yeah, that is what I was worried about was the Jerking movements. I am very new and have a lot to learn about the structure of cross fit.
My concern was that half through my 2nd WOD my instructor added more weight to my barbell because it "looked to easy" for me. And being a of a bodybuilder mindset, I did not really care about the weight just getting the form down. Which my cross fit form on the jerking movements is way off.
I guess with time I will work it all out as I learn.
It takes time man, and seeing the dedication that youve put into your bodybuilding, i have no doubts youll do well in CF if you put your focus into it. I still struggle with Jerks to be honest, i think its a mental thing for me. I either muscle it up without dipping under the bar, or go into a full squat clean/snatch. It plays with my mind to do anything in between for some reason, and im still working to fix that.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:43 PM   #5
Chris Jones

Profile:

PS- your back is HUGE!
Old 10-09-2014, 11:34 AM   #6
Jon Hanover

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jones View Post
PS- your back is HUGE!
Haha, I thought the same thing. Impressive physique.

Definitely just work with the coaches to improve your technique and use weights that are MUCH lower than what you can lift. This will ensure better technique. Small dose of humble medicine to start, and you'll progress quickly. Some of the best CF'ers come from strength backgrounds - Olympic Lifting, Football, etc.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:45 PM   #7
Eric Parham

Profile:

Today, I have to say was pretty cool at the WOD. (I took a break of about a week and a half from CF because of time…not a break from the gym).

We did handstand pushups and burlpees for the WOD…boy let me tell you, I did the first two sets bodybuilder style and didn't think I was going to make the last set.
I was the last one finishing thinking, "dang, how are these people doing this WOD so fast" And on the last set of handstand push ups the coach showed me how to use my legs and momentum….wow I had know idea how much using your legs with momentum could get you up there so fast and quick and not be sloppy while doing it.

But the coolest part is how everyone surrounded me and cheered me on through the last set…drool draining out of my mouth and all. I like the genuine support from the fellow CF's
I am starting to get hooked…its's not bodybuilding, but it is difficult and fun to do.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:23 AM   #8
Maurice Mayfield Jr

Profile:

But the coolest part is how everyone surrounded me and cheered me on through the last set…drool draining out of my mouth and all. I like the genuine support from the fellow CF's
I am starting to get hooked…its's not bodybuilding, but it is difficult and fun to do.

That's Crossfit at its Best right there!! Crossfit is one big Family
Old 12-05-2014, 07:47 AM   #9
David Greenwalt

Profile:

Quote:
...For anyone that has been a bodybuilder in the past….how did you change your mindset from going to strict isolation to using momentum as an additional tool?...

...So believing that using momentum is going to be safe using that amount of weight has me concerned……but I have a lot to learn about cross fit.
Like you I come from a PL and BB background. I'm only 5 months into CF as I write this. Even so I've done two CF comps, one as a Novice and one in a teams Scaled division.

Like the others have said you are not going to be using "momentum" with the loads you stated in your original post - not even close.

Depending on the Coach and the box you will have to direct them when it comes to loads they suggest. I'm 49, have low-back issues and I just have to be very careful even though I can still move reasonable iron for my age. Early on I was given a bar pre-loaded with 225 as my FIRST deadlift set and that I was supposed to do for 15. Can I pull 225 for 15? Yes. Am I going to pull it on my first set? No way in hell. So I stripped it down to 135, did 10, then went to 185 for 5, then went to 225 for 15. "Warmed up" with mobility doesn't mean, for me, warmed up and ready to go with 225 on the DL for 15. I say this because, even though I don't have your mass, I look "strong" because of my muscle size/bodybuilding background. So make sure you stay in the driver's seat and don't let peer pressure or Coach pressure get you in a spot that's just not right for you. Now I will say, depending on your own head games and fears, that your Coach might guide you to do something you might not otherwise have done with CF so it's a delicate balance between what you feel is "safe" for you and what your Coach can obviously see you are ready for but you don't think you are.

As a large BB you are going to get your *** kicked, at least for a while. Like you said you are going to look around at "non-specimen looking" males and females at your box who absolutely smoke you in various movements and metcons. I suspect, like me, your aerobic capacity is not good. Mine has improved greatly over the past five months but the excellent changes we're looking for don't happen that fast and I'll need another year of hard cardio and metcons to get my aerobic an anaerobic bases where they belong. I'm a lot better than I was 5 months ago though.

Once your skills improve with all those movements we've never done or haven't done much (OHS, snatch, jerks, hand-stand pushups etc) and you get your aerobic/anaerobic engines in place your BB and general lifting background is going to give you a HUGE leg up. It'll take a person who has never lifted and who has CF as their first intro fitness/lifting a HELL of a lot longer to come anywhere near your strength compared to how long it'll take you, if you work it hard, to improve your aerobic/anaerobic base to competitive levels. In my opinion I'd MUCH rather have someone who is strong as hell but who needs cardio/metabolic work than have someone who is a complete novice with strength but who has a great cardio/metabolic engine.

In all I'm just saying I'm right there with you brother. I know what I know and I'm humble to the max about what I don't know. I'm just a sponge soaking it all up with an open mind. I check my ego at the door and keep at the forefront what's most important - to stay safe, uninjured, have fun and remember - it's just Crossfit for God's sake, it's not a marriage or our kids or a truly MOST important.

Also, I only do CF once a week. The rest of my training is still conventional bodybuilding + hard/low-impact cardio (elliptical, rower, Airdyne mostly).
Old 12-07-2014, 06:10 PM   #10
Sonia Souza

Profile:

Quote:
Hey guys/ladies,
I have been a bodybuilder in the past and I just went to my first box this past week. I decided to go to one that is owned by a guy a have known for some time now.
I am not in the same shape/condition I was in a couple of years ago, but still what most consider above average. The two WODs I have done have made me sore, but I am very focused of my form with the new movements I am learning, like overhead squat.

For anyone that has been a bodybuilder in the past….how did you change your mindset from going to strict isolation to using momentum as an additional tool?

It is so hard to not just press the weight up, but instead use this controlled momentum. I know practice is key…but tips that have helped other would be cool.
I have military pressed 315 for 10 reps (smith machine) **youtube video posted of this site already
Squat 405 X 20 reps (free standing)
So believing that using momentum is going to be safe using that amount of weight has me concerned……but I have a lot to learn about cross fit.
Eric,

I can relate to what you are saying and it will take some time to get use to CrossFit. The main thing is being efficient with your movement and that comes with time and practice. I think the best piece of advice is to work on performing the movement correctly and not focus on how much weight to use. Here is some food for thought. A CrossFit Journal article from a few years ago stated how a 5'5", 10", 180 pound athlete who completes Fran in nine minutes with a 95 pound barbell generated a power output of 98.2 watts. That same person used a 75 pound barbell, finished the workout 2 min faster with an increased power output of 115.7 watts. As you can see, the weight is independent of power output. Don't sacrifice your form for weight.

BTW, welcome to the boards