CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-25-2014, 04:19 PM   #1
Gregory R Shaw

Profile:
Shoes

I officially joined a box about a month and a half ago. Prior I was doing my own routines at home that were CrossFit style.
Anyway I am looking to get a new pair of shoes as I have been using a pair of NB minimus for about a year and a half. I went out ant tried on a pair of Nano 2 and 4 and my heel slips. I am wondering what is a good shoe to get that may have a narrow heel area. Plus I am really not a fan of buying shoes and skates online especially a new brand cause I like to try them on first.

Thanks and sorry for writing another post on a shoe question but I wanted some input regarding my heel slipping .
Old 10-25-2014, 07:09 PM   #2
David L Jones

Profile:
Re: Shoes

Try Inov8 shoes. They are much more form fitting, and I think much more functional than Nanos. I hate the sloppy feel of Nanos.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:11 PM   #3
Gregory R Shaw

Profile:

Thanks, any particular Inov8 model and do you know any store that carries them so I can try them on.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:36 PM   #4
David L Jones

Profile:

Dick's Sporting Goods has them, but they are not easy to find. Zappos is very good online site that takes shoes back if they do not fit appropriately and they have free shipping back and forth and have a great selection of Inov-8s.

Personally I like the 240s or 195s. I like the fit of the 195 best, but I like the slightly (very slightly) higher heel on the 240s. I am thinking about getting some 195s to see which I like the best. Either way, they are not much different at all.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:25 AM   #5
Michael A. Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David L Jones View Post
Dick's Sporting Goods has them, but they are not easy to find. Zappos is very good online site that takes shoes back if they do not fit appropriately and they have free shipping back and forth and have a great selection of Inov-8s.

Personally I like the 240s or 195s. I like the fit of the 195 best, but I like the slightly (very slightly) higher heel on the 240s. I am thinking about getting some 195s to see which I like the best. Either way, they are not much different at all.
I second the nomination for the 195s. I love them for all purpose CrossFit shoes. Nanos are good but aren't as all around as the INOVs.

Michael
Old 10-27-2014, 12:57 PM   #6
Clint Harris

Profile:

I was a MT10v1 user for a long time. Great shoes, wore out 2-3 pairs of them and I still have some I wear to work (right this minute even). I haven't liked the newer versions ... they messed with the formula. Probably because those dots on the soles came off and/or as the shoe wore out, there were soft spots in between the dots too.

Have never tried the inov8s and tried really hard to like the nanos, but couldn't pull the trigger on them, they just didn't do anything for me so never purchased or tried outside of the store.
I currently use "Merrel Barefoot Run Trail Glove 2"
Very solid shoe IMO. It's both firm underfoot but also cushioned without giving away the barefoot feel. I can use them for everything. 2 mile run through to heavy squats and/or power clean&jerk. I like them better than the MT10 .... just a bit more stable (so are, just a hair heavier).
I also used the first-gen Merrel trail glove and while they are nice to walk/hike around in as a barefoot shoe, as an "fitnesser" I didn't enjoy them.
I also tried the road version of these newer Trail Gloves. I liked them except the sole did not hold up - it started to come off after a few sled-sprint workouts on the tarmac. Went to the trail version under warranty and liked them even better. (bought from REI, wife got a pair from RoadRunners and I see them everywhere)
Old 12-02-2014, 07:53 AM   #7
Scott Simmonds

Profile:

I used running shoes for my first few months in CF. Then bought Reebok Nanos. I like the lower heal for the weightlifting. I wear them all the time now - even around town.

My coach is hinting that I should get a pair of weightlifting shoes.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:16 PM   #8
Gregory R Shaw

Profile:

I got the Merrell Trail Glove. I really like them the only thing I found harder to do with the new shoes is rope climbing. It the rope seems to slip more when I am pinching my feet together than my old nb minimus. I may just need to scuff them up some more

But overall a great well rounded cf shoe