CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-01-2014, 09:46 AM   #1
Kevin Ferris

Profile:
Crossfit for PFT improvement

I have known about this site for a while but thanks to the board administrators for helping me make an account so I can participate.

I was wondering if I could get some input or pointed in the right direction.

My main focus right now is to build up my endurance and improve my PFT score for the next upcoming selection board that is taking place in a few months. The pull-ups right now are at a perfect score,20. However, I would start to struggle around 16. The crunches are currently at 80 and should be at 100. My weakest by far is the running. I want to shave at least 3-4 minutes off my 3-mile run time. I need below 24 minutes to be able to go in front of the board for selection. 21 minutes is more of a competitive score. A perfect score is 18 minutes. I am currently between 25-26 minutes.

I spoke to the owner at a local crossfit gym and explained my situation and what I am looking for. He was extremely helpful and confident that he will help me reach my goals in no time.

My only concern is, how often will I be able to run to improve my 3 mile at a crossfit gym? or will the crossfit help everything else and build endurance but I would have to do the distance running on my own time. (probably before I go to the crossfit gym so my body isn't dead for the run).

This is the situation I am in now. If anyone could shine some light on me and help me out would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Kevin
Old 11-01-2014, 04:42 PM   #2
Michael A. Jones

Profile:
Re: Crossfit for PFT improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Ferris View Post
I have known about this site for a while but thanks to the board administrators for helping me make an account so I can participate.

I was wondering if I could get some input or pointed in the right direction.

My main focus right now is to build up my endurance and improve my PFT score for the next upcoming selection board that is taking place in a few months. The pull-ups right now are at a perfect score,20. However, I would start to struggle around 16. The crunches are currently at 80 and should be at 100. My weakest by far is the running. I want to shave at least 3-4 minutes off my 3-mile run time. I need below 24 minutes to be able to go in front of the board for selection. 21 minutes is more of a competitive score. A perfect score is 18 minutes. I am currently between 25-26 minutes.

I spoke to the owner at a local crossfit gym and explained my situation and what I am looking for. He was extremely helpful and confident that he will help me reach my goals in no time.

My only concern is, how often will I be able to run to improve my 3 mile at a crossfit gym? or will the crossfit help everything else and build endurance but I would have to do the distance running on my own time. (probably before I go to the crossfit gym so my body isn't dead for the run).

This is the situation I am in now. If anyone could shine some light on me and help me out would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Kevin
Kevin,

Sounds like you are in the Armed Forces but I cannot determine which by the test events you described....At any rate, I am retired Army and found that CrossFit did help improve on my APFT.

As for running, it'll depend on the box, it's programming and you. Is the owner going to tailor WODs for you to specifically meet your goals.....? As long as you are doing steady metcons, then you shouldn't have to run as often (that's an observation from my experience). My run times have improved since I don't run as often as when I was active duty.

Hope that helps a bit.

Michael
Old 11-01-2014, 07:37 PM   #3
Kevin Ferris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael A. Jones View Post
Kevin,

Sounds like you are in the Armed Forces but I cannot determine which by the test events you described....At any rate, I am retired Army and found that CrossFit did help improve on my APFT.

As for running, it'll depend on the box, it's programming and you. Is the owner going to tailor WODs for you to specifically meet your goals.....? As long as you are doing steady metcons, then you shouldn't have to run as often (that's an observation from my experience). My run times have improved since I don't run as often as when I was active duty.

Hope that helps a bit.

Michael
Michael,

Thank you for the response, and thank you for your service!
I am not in the Armed Forces, I am currently an applicant trying to get selected to go to Marine Corps OCS. The next available board is around March.
the PFT for Marine Officers consists of a 3 mile run, dead-hang pull-ups and crunches.

I do not know if the owner will adjust the WOD's to meet my specific goals. However he did say he will absolutely help me with my needs. (he is also retired military). I am confident crossfit at that gym will absolutely buildup my endurance and strength which would help my PFT score I am just curious if paying for the crossfit gym and the WOD are worth it when my main focus is PFT prep. Maybe I am just over thinking it because the gyms in my area are a large investment I want to make sure it is worth it. I personally do not know many people who crossfit so I guess I just needed someones opinion other than just the person whose gym I am considering going to.

Kevin
Old 11-02-2014, 02:50 PM   #4
Michael A. Jones

Profile:

Kevin,

I'd "shop around" for a personal trainer as well. You don't necessarily have to go to a CF box to get in a quality WOD. Besides, you know your limits, weaknesses and strengths better than anyone.

If you have access to a gym and decent equipment, you could meet your goals on your own.....IMO.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress or if you need some advice.

Michael
Old 11-02-2014, 05:57 PM   #5
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Keep your focus specific to your goals. There are a lot of combinations of runs, pull-ups, and situps you can use for WODs. CF will help most likely, but it's smart to work extensively on the events you will be tested on. Get accepted and through training and you can train in a way you want, at least mostly.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:34 PM   #6
Kevin Ferris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael A. Jones View Post
Kevin,

I'd "shop around" for a personal trainer as well. You don't necessarily have to go to a CF box to get in a quality WOD. Besides, you know your limits, weaknesses and strengths better than anyone.

If you have access to a gym and decent equipment, you could meet your goals on your own.....IMO.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress or if you need some advice.

Michael
Thank you, I know a few friends that have a personal trainer at the local athletic club I will ask them about pricing and what it consists of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post
Keep your focus specific to your goals. There are a lot of combinations of runs, pull-ups, and situps you can use for WODs. CF will help most likely, but it's smart to work extensively on the events you will be tested on. Get accepted and through training and you can train in a way you want, at least mostly.
Thanks for your response. I can do the crunches and pull-ups at my house, I just build a pull-up bar today. it is just the running that I cant do at my house, I don't think the crossfit box I am considering has a treadmill and the weather here can get brutal. Maybe I should just stick with the basic gym I go to now and seek out a good trainer there. I just need a place to run.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:25 PM   #7
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quantico weather won't exactly be balmy if you end up in a winter class for OCS or TBS and you'll still have to take PFTs. I'd suggest running outside anyways, or at least finding an indoor track for days when it's absolutely unbearable to run outside.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:22 AM   #8
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Run outside. Rhode Island is God's country, and you're living in the nice part.

I mean the possibilities....Cliff Walk Any of the beaches, do the bridges have pedestrian walkways? Up and down the hills. And probably, if you're doing it right, right outside your door and at a HS track so you can push the pace everyday.

Last edited by Robert D Taylor Jr : 11-03-2014 at 06:34 AM.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:57 AM   #9
Kevin Ferris

Profile:

You both have valid points. I just need to invest in proper weather gear. The more I get used to the cold now Quantico will be easier...hopefully.

Very true about the possible running locations in my area too. Guess I never really thought about them much especially the tourist attractions because during the summer months you could only run so far before you have to come to a complete stop to get around a crowd of people. This got annoying especially when you are going for time. Luckily tourist season is long gone right now.

One of the bridges that was recently built has a pedestrian walkway. and another bridge allows bicycles.

So I really do have no excuse not to run outside.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:43 AM   #10
Christopher Morris

Profile:

When I was in the Army my 2-mile run went from 17 to 13 minutes. I improved my run speed with Fartlek training and modifying my running form to Pose running.

There are a lot of different ways to vary your intervals with Fartlek. The base I was on had a three-mile track with markers every quarter mile. I would jog leisurely for a quarter mile, then sprint hard for a quarter mile, then repeat - always running continuously for the full three-mile course. By sprint interval four or five it sucks big time. This definitely improved my steady 2-mile run pace. You can do this type of thing just about anywhere. You may set a stopwatch and jog for 1 minute, sprint for 1 minute, repeating for 25 minutes total.

If you can do 16 dead-hang pull-ups, that's awesome! You definitely have more than a basic ability in pull-ups, you just need to add a few more reps. Do you do weighted pull-ups? If not, that could get you those last few reps.