CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-03-2014, 01:09 PM   #11
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:
Re: Crossfit for PFT improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Ferris View Post
You both have valid points. I just need to invest in proper weather gear. The more I get used to the cold now Quantico will be easier...hopefully.

Very true about the possible running locations in my area too. Guess I never really thought about them much especially the tourist attractions because during the summer months you could only run so far before you have to come to a complete stop to get around a crowd of people. This got annoying especially when you are going for time. Luckily tourist season is long gone right now.

One of the bridges that was recently built has a pedestrian walkway. and another bridge allows bicycles.

So I really do have no excuse not to run outside.
Even during tourist season. If you can make your time while dodging fat tourists drinking Dels, (and Dunkin, and Awful Awfuls) then you will definitely make your time when all you are is under performance pressure.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:35 PM   #12
Kevin Ferris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Morris View Post
When I was in the Army my 2-mile run went from 17 to 13 minutes. I improved my run speed with Fartlek training and modifying my running form to Pose running.

There are a lot of different ways to vary your intervals with Fartlek. The base I was on had a three-mile track with markers every quarter mile. I would jog leisurely for a quarter mile, then sprint hard for a quarter mile, then repeat - always running continuously for the full three-mile course. By sprint interval four or five it sucks big time. This definitely improved my steady 2-mile run pace. You can do this type of thing just about anywhere. You may set a stopwatch and jog for 1 minute, sprint for 1 minute, repeating for 25 minutes total.

If you can do 16 dead-hang pull-ups, that's awesome! You definitely have more than a basic ability in pull-ups, you just need to add a few more reps. Do you do weighted pull-ups? If not, that could get you those last few reps.
Someone who else is an applicant in the same office I go to suggested fartlek and gave me a 5 week running guide that consists of intervals and also cross traning with eithre cycling, rowing, swimming ect. I pretty much need to improve both my distance and speed. I am going to order a garmin forerunner probably tonight so I can keep track of my time and distance without having to hold my phone in my hand. the watch I am looking at has the ability to set intervals.

I can do 20 dead-hang pull-ups. sorry maybe I said it wrong earlier.. I can do 20 but I start to struggle around 16. I want to be able to do 20+ easily without any issue. and I have done weighted pull-upds before (using a 40lb vest) but not as often as I should. I am considering adding weighted pull-ups into my normal weekly routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post
Even during tourist season. If you can make your time while dodging fat tourists drinking Dels, (and Dunkin, and Awful Awfuls) then you will definitely make your time when all you are is under performance pressure.
haha I laughed out loud at that comment, I take it you have been to Rhode Island before, especially Newport.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:35 PM   #13
Kevin Ferris

Profile:

Quote:
When I was in the Army my 2-mile run went from 17 to 13 minutes. I improved my run speed with Fartlek training and modifying my running form to Pose running.

There are a lot of different ways to vary your intervals with Fartlek. The base I was on had a three-mile track with markers every quarter mile. I would jog leisurely for a quarter mile, then sprint hard for a quarter mile, then repeat - always running continuously for the full three-mile course. By sprint interval four or five it sucks big time. This definitely improved my steady 2-mile run pace. You can do this type of thing just about anywhere. You may set a stopwatch and jog for 1 minute, sprint for 1 minute, repeating for 25 minutes total.

If you can do 16 dead-hang pull-ups, that's awesome! You definitely have more than a basic ability in pull-ups, you just need to add a few more reps. Do you do weighted pull-ups? If not, that could get you those last few reps.
Someone who else is an applicant in the same office I go to suggested fartlek and gave me a 5 week running guide that consists of intervals and also cross traning with eithre cycling, rowing, swimming ect. I pretty much need to improve both my distance and speed. I am going to order a garmin forerunner probably tonight so I can keep track of my time and distance without having to hold my phone in my hand. the watch I am looking at has the ability to set intervals.

I can do 20 dead-hang pull-ups. sorry maybe I said it wrong earlier.. I can do 20 but I start to struggle around 16. I want to be able to do 20+ easily without any issue. and I have done weighted pull-upds before (using a 40lb vest) but not as often as I should. I am considering adding weighted pull-ups into my normal weekly routine

Quote:
haha I laughed out loud at that comment, I take it you have been to Rhode Island before, especially Newport.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:47 AM   #14
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

[
haha I laughed out loud at that comment, I take it you have been to Rhode Island before, especially Newport.[/quote]

Lived in East Providence for my first 17 years. Been going back a couple of times a year since. It's still "home" to me, even if I've lived in Chesapeake for as long as I lived there. (and another 9 years in FL)
Old 11-04-2014, 06:56 AM   #15
Kyle Collins

Profile:

As someone who just transitioned out of the service, my best PT scores came after training to the test events and using Crossfit to supplement or break up the monotony of training to PT events.

I intentionally made sacrifices during Crossfit workouts (i.e., not going as heavy on squats to save my legs for running) in order to focus on the PT test and for me, it was the right move. Crossfit complimented my PT training/performance nicely, but only as far as I was willing to make my PT test training the top priority.

Best of luck to you and thank you for your service.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:27 PM   #16
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Ferris View Post
I have done weighted pull-upds before (using a 40lb vest) but not as often as I should. I am considering adding weighted pull-ups into my normal weekly routine.
I've also been trying to figure out how to do resistance pull-ups, i.e., pull-ups that increase resistance as you go up through the rep movement. Here are some ideas:
- resistance bands worn over the shoulders like a vest, anchored to the ground (under a stack of bumper plates, or strapped to a loaded barbell). You'd have to watch out when you get down if the barbell rolled directly under your hanging feet.
- chain pull-ups where the chain is draped on the floor at the bottom of the rep, but lifted completely off the ground at the top of the rep.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:09 AM   #17
Kevin Ferris

Profile:

Quote:
Lived in East Providence for my first 17 years. Been going back a couple of times a year since. It's still "home" to me, even if I've lived in Chesapeake for as long as I lived there. (and another 9 years in FL)
I have some friends in East Providence, I know what you mean though, as much as I want to travel I think Rhode Island will always be the place I always go back to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Collins View Post
As someone who just transitioned out of the service, my best PT scores came after training to the test events and using Crossfit to supplement or break up the monotony of training to PT events.

I intentionally made sacrifices during Crossfit workouts (i.e., not going as heavy on squats to save my legs for running) in order to focus on the PT test and for me, it was the right move. Crossfit complimented my PT training/performance nicely, but only as far as I was willing to make my PT test training the top priority.

Best of luck to you and thank you for your service.
Thats what I need to do, focus on the three main events in the PFT and just add some extra things in between. I have already been starting a notebook of different routines I could try each day.

Quote:
I've also been trying to figure out how to do resistance pull-ups, i.e., pull-ups that increase resistance as you go up through the rep movement. Here are some ideas:
- resistance bands worn over the shoulders like a vest, anchored to the ground (under a stack of bumper plates, or strapped to a loaded barbell). You'd have to watch out when you get down if the barbell rolled directly under your hanging feet.
- chain pull-ups where the chain is draped on the floor at the bottom of the rep, but lifted completely off the ground at the top of the rep.
that is a good idea, I am always up for new ideas to help improve pullups, Luckily in my garage I have a lot of chains and extra weight I could use.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:54 PM   #18
Alden Hingle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Collins View Post

+1

I am a retired Marine and intimately familiar with the PFT and the importance of a good score to qualify for OCS. What Kyle said.

The only way to get better at pull-ups (as they will be tested) is to do them. I'd work some weighted pull-ups in but do lots of regular deadhangs. Otherwise, you'll get good at weighted pull-ups but your endurance for the deadhangs will fall off. (ask me how I know) During my last operational tour, I had great luck doing pull-ups three times a day during work. I'd hit the pull-up bar before work, at lunch and before leaving at the end of the day. I worked up to as many sets as needed to get 30 reps for a total of 90 reps a day. A couple of months of that and I could do 30 deadhangs during the PFT.

For your running, add interval work to your training. Fartlek, track work (440s and 880s) worked well for me.

Once you qualify for OCS, then you can focus more on CrossFit workouts. The fitness you will gain there (while it won't necessarily help your PFT score) will significantly improve your performance at OCS. The obstacle course, confidence course, field exercises with a heavy pack, etc. will all be easier if you are stronger.

Best of luck to you!
Old 11-17-2014, 06:53 PM   #19
Kevin Ferris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden Hingle View Post
+1

I am a retired Marine and intimately familiar with the PFT and the importance of a good score to qualify for OCS. What Kyle said.

The only way to get better at pull-ups (as they will be tested) is to do them. I'd work some weighted pull-ups in but do lots of regular deadhangs. Otherwise, you'll get good at weighted pull-ups but your endurance for the deadhangs will fall off. (ask me how I know) During my last operational tour, I had great luck doing pull-ups three times a day during work. I'd hit the pull-up bar before work, at lunch and before leaving at the end of the day. I worked up to as many sets as needed to get 30 reps for a total of 90 reps a day. A couple of months of that and I could do 30 deadhangs during the PFT.

For your running, add interval work to your training. Fartlek, track work (440s and 880s) worked well for me.

Once you qualify for OCS, then you can focus more on CrossFit workouts. The fitness you will gain there (while it won't necessarily help your PFT score) will significantly improve your performance at OCS. The obstacle course, confidence course, field exercises with a heavy pack, etc. will all be easier if you are stronger.

Best of luck to you!
Thank you for your response and thank you for your service.

I have been doing pull-ups every chance I get. I come across some type of object that could hold me up I would bang out a quick set.

Lately all I have been doing with the running is intervals this past week. Using a treadmill so I can monitor the pace so I know where my goal pace is at. at least until I get an idea / memory of where I need to be so I can take it outside.

I have a few months before the next selection board and I still have A LOT of work to do. But I am doing what I can. Participating in all the POOL functions. Whatever I can to show my dedication.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:26 PM   #20
Alden Hingle

Profile:

Thank you for making the decision to serve today. It is never an easy decision and there are sacrifices you make that your civilian peers won't have to make. Go to the POOL functions and learn all you can from the good and bad examples you meet. All of those will make you a better leader.

I apparently made an impression on my kids, too, about service. Two of them are Marines and one is in the Army. My wife is retired Army. We are about as military a family as you can get.

Oorah!