CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-24-2014, 07:19 AM   #1
Sean O. Kelly

Profile:
Hello! Newbie poster

So I took the plunge and I am entering my final week of our On-ramp. I must say I have enjoyed the first 3 weeks. Not only the workouts but the people I have met and the coaches we have. Our box is only about 10 months old from what I gather, but we have been growing pretty decently. From what I can tell we have added about 3-5 new members a month and the coaches said they are up to about 75 members already.
I came in to the program at about 6'2 250'ish... I was a former college track athlete (long/triple jumper) and did multiple sports in HS. So similar to a lot of people on here I bet. What i've noticed is that CF really gets my competitive juices flowing again and I get annoyed if someone is able to "beat" me in the workout! Thankfully we all support one another in our on-ramp group and want each one of us to improve.
I'm super stoked for our re-test of our baseline this week. Our initial test was 500m row, 40 air squats, 30 sit ups, 20 pu, 10 pullups. I about died after that test... I was able to get a 7:56 on the initial but I'm shooting for something u nder 6 on the retest... if not lower.... I still hate pull ups... never have been good at them but I can tell i've gotten better in just the last 3 weeks... I still use a band etc but they are getting easier each time we do them. I look forward to reading everyone's updates and tips over the next few months!
Old 11-28-2014, 10:33 PM   #2
Joe Spinelli

Profile:
Re: Hello! Newbie poster

Congrats on making the commitment! You will love CrossFit and it sounds like you found a great box.

I'm wondering if you've had a chance to figure out what you're really good at so far? I'm also 6'2" and I find I'm good at just about all pulling activities; cleans, rowing, pull-ups, snatches, etc. I'm not so good at the overhead stuff due to mobility issues, and being taller makes me slow at thrusters and squats. After 2+ years I still have lots of stuff to work on.

Good luck on your progress. Don't let the competitive juices get in the way of being smart. Learn all your lifts and check your ego at the door to prevent any injuries. Steady progress is way better than trying to "prove" something to yourself and getting injured.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:38 AM   #3
Sean O. Kelly

Profile:
Re: Hello! Newbie poster

So far i'm good at rowing, push ups. We haven't done really any heavy work at squats/cleans/snatch etc. Prior to this I was decent at DL etc with no real training. About 12 months ago I pulled 475 with limited work on it... I am sure my form was horrible and it's probably why my back always hurt.

I've always been weak at pull ups, just something that has always been tough for me. I'm sure the rope climbing will be difficult as well. Working on my flexibility is one of my biggest challenges I think. So many years of not working on my hip mobility really makes some of the squatting activities difficult but in the 4 weeks I feel like I've gotten better. We are to retest our baseline tonight so I'm hoping to drop 1-2 minutes on it. We'll see though.