CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-15-2014, 05:40 PM   #1
Conrad Long

Profile:
Pre sale memberships

I am opening my first box in March of 2015. 9 year crossfitter, former Military and PSD contractor. Does anyone LEGIT, as in box owner with experience have an opinion or experience with pre selling memberships? I m considering pre selling memberships but I am not sure if I should pre sell by getting someones credit card or bank information and waiting to charge them until day one when I open or charge them now for the first month. Any thoughts or ideas. I have zen planner set up to keep track of pre sales and ability to run credit cards.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:44 AM   #2
Scott Simmonds

Profile:
Re: Pre sale memberships

Some states have "consumer protection laws" that might have something to say about it - worth a check.

I couldn't find anything in FL - only did a quick search though.

For example, here is what Maryland has on its website - http://www.oag.state.md.us/Healthclub/consumer.htm (WFS) - they require a bond, contracts, etc.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:43 AM   #3
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

The best execution I have seen of this was an affiliate opened in a market where prices averaged well over $150.00 a month. They opened at $99 a month unlimited. They held that price until they had well over 100 members. Didn't take them long. Then they raised their prices to market level.

I grew my affiliate slowly one member at a time. If I open another gym I will use a discount, fast ramp up strategy next time.

It is so important to hit 8 plus people class sizes a quickly as possible. Makes everything better.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:19 AM   #4
Diana Alt

Profile:

The gym I go to did a pre-sale to a limited number of charter members. We paid a year up front at a steeply discounted rate, and still get a discounted annual rate as long as we stay with the gym. I paid by check as soon as I could. The gym officially opened on June 1, but charter members had limited access in May while the owners completed getting all the setup done, so the first year really got 13 months of CrossFit for my annual rate.