CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 02-14-2015, 06:34 AM   #1
mike vinson

Profile:
The week during the OPEN

What does a training week look like during the OPEN for a Regional or Games athletes? Do they ramp up even more? Back off? How many times will they try 15.1? Just curious...thanks guys.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:30 AM   #2
Tim Alford

Profile:
Re: The week during the OPEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vinson View Post
What does a training week look like during the OPEN for a Regional or Games athletes? Do they ramp up even more? Back off? How many times will they try 15.1? Just curious...thanks guys.
I have no clue how they ramp up or down, but from what I've seen many of the top athletes will go at least 3 times per workout. It seems crazy but they work those mechanics and transitions and add 2 or 3 reps. I remember hearing someone (I think Malleolo sp? or Fisch) and they said they did the open workout every day for a week. Needless to say...I'll do it once. Maybe twice if I really think I can drastically improve, but I'm not booking my ticket to the Central East, let alone any region!
Old 02-14-2015, 07:40 AM   #3
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

The 2 i know did them 1-2xs depending on the outcome.

Usually spent a day practicing some and planning, did it, and then going from there.

I remember one WOD last year 2 mins in she didn't feel it and stopped, and just did it the next day

I remember a buddy who did the 7 mins of burpees 2xs and was thinking of doing it once more in hopes of 2 more reps...
Old 02-14-2015, 10:48 AM   #4
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:

I have focused too much on the open, constantly checking the leader board. Doing the workouts again and prepaired to do them again if the score could be improved on. Usually 2-3 reps either way for me. Sometimes that 2-3 reps is a big deal like on 14.3 from 139 to 141.

For some reason my life is hectic during Open times causing stress. This year is no different with kids and my ex. Having a bad back injury is not helping either.

I used to not do much training during the open week. Just focus on doing the open workouts and resting doing them again.

I find that being the fourth open having the maturity I will train much more than the years prior. I found out that the open month got me out of shape.

I think that the seasoned games athletes don't do much for the open. Its just another day and another workout. They kill it because nothing is bad thrown at them because they are good at everything. Yes they might get a bone and have a total wheelhouse workout.. Austin M on 14.1 or Josh B on anything C2B or CLB C2B.. Rich F everything is a wheel house workout.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:44 AM   #5
Will Hurst

Profile:

Most competitor programs aimed at this group are doing low volume, high percentage lifting, honing movement efficiency, with skill based WOD's and low intensity cardio (long rows or assault bike sessions) for recovery and boosting aerobic capacity. Usually Mon-Wed, leaving the weekend for their open workout attempts with a light session in between. Most are still on 5-6 days a week. I don't believe a lot of pro's do these WOD's more than 1-2 times.