CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-18-2015, 10:42 AM   #1
Tim Alford

Profile:
Is this stupid?

Hey guys, I've recently (almost 9 months, I believe) backed away from Crossfit and went to a more traditional bodybuilding type program. I've seen some good results (aesthetically) but my engine is completely gone. Recently at my globo the gym owner (a Regionals level competitor) is starting a morning Crossfit class and asked me to participate.

My question is: Would it be beneficial or detrimental to do a Crossfit workout (metcon only) Monday's and Wednesday's and then my "bodybuilding" program on Tues/Thurs? Saturday's I typically just run 3 or 4 miles. Would these compliment each other in a good way? Or will I erase any positive gains with all the cardio?

Lastly, before you ask, I'm 6'0" 190 lbs. 27 years old and looking to get around 195 but with some functional strength.

Thanks for any feedback!
Old 09-18-2015, 02:43 PM   #2
Luke Sirakos

Profile:
Re: Is this stupid?

If cardio erased gains then I have a feeling Alex Viada wouldn't be squatting 700 lbs, you just need to intelligently program your routine to maximize the gains you are looking for. Doing whatever metcon that is programmed two days a week probably wouldn't fit that very well considering you could do something that would burn out your shoulders but then you might want to work shoulders the next day for your bodybuilding routine.

At the end of the day it probably won't be a huge deal, your gains will likely slow down but your engine will likely improve some.
Old 09-19-2015, 07:29 AM   #3
Tim Alford

Profile:

Obviously I know cardio doesn't coordinate directly to muscle loss in my situation. I appreciate your input, though. I think I'll do my metcons on Monday/Wednesday and then Tuesday/Thursday "bodybuilding" and Saturday I'll run. I'll try that and see how I feel in 90 days.
Old 09-20-2015, 02:05 PM   #4
Michael A. Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Alford View Post
Obviously I know cardio doesn't coordinate directly to muscle loss in my situation. I appreciate your input, though. I think I'll do my metcons on Monday/Wednesday and then Tuesday/Thursday "bodybuilding" and Saturday I'll run. I'll try that and see how I feel in 90 days.
Can you describe your "bodybuilding" program....?

Not knowing what it intels, I don't believe that two separate programs would be a detriment.

Michael
Old 09-22-2015, 11:45 AM   #5
Tim Alford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael A. Jones View Post
Can you describe your "bodybuilding" program....?

Not knowing what it intels, I don't believe that two separate programs would be a detriment.

Michael
Don't judge....it's a program called "Get Swole"! LOL It is a traditional bodybuilding with splits like chest/back and arms. 4 sets of 12 reps is most common with tri-sets.

I'm enjoying it, seeing gains but want to add cardio.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:03 AM   #6
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Alford View Post
My question is: Would it be beneficial or detrimental to do a Crossfit workout (metcon only) Monday's and Wednesday's and then my "bodybuilding" program on Tues/Thurs? Saturday's I typically just run 3 or 4 miles. Would these compliment each other in a good way? Or will I erase any positive gains with all the cardio?

Lastly, before you ask, I'm 6'0" 190 lbs. 27 years old and looking to get around 195 but with some functional strength.
First of all in general "not stupid". You are light for you height if you want to be a strength athlete and generally not skinny. So a mass building program seems reasonable. Before you worry about met-cons and recovery make sure you are eating a lot and sleeping a lot.

The programming of the met-cons will also have a lot to do with it. As painful as a full speed Fran is it really isn't that hard on your system. As length, reps and weight go up it takes longer to recover. Stick to shorter met-cons with medium to light weights, not too many reps of 1 movement and you should be fine.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:45 AM   #7
Tim Alford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
First of all in general "not stupid". You are light for you height if you want to be a strength athlete and generally not skinny. So a mass building program seems reasonable. Before you worry about met-cons and recovery make sure you are eating a lot and sleeping a lot.

The programming of the met-cons will also have a lot to do with it. As painful as a full speed Fran is it really isn't that hard on your system. As length, reps and weight go up it takes longer to recover. Stick to shorter met-cons with medium to light weights, not too many reps of 1 movement and you should be fine.
Sounds good. Thanks for the tips. The metcon we did Monday was a partner Wod: 30 pull ups, 30 ground to overhead (95), 30 goblet squats, 30 donkey kicks, 30 T2B for 3 rounds. While one partner is working the other partner has to be in a static hold (plank, wall sit, squat, etc.) It was a long one and I definitely have some lingering soreness. I'll be sure to keep the metcons shorter going forward so that I'm not too drained. The last thing is my sleep, I average 6 hours a night, I know it's super important I'm usually doing something from waking at 5:30 am till 10pm or so and then I debate on going to bed or having time with my wife and I've decided I need time with her over an extra hour of sleep. I'll hopefully be able to squeeze in a nap during my lunch to get an additional 30/45 minutes. Thanks again.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:12 AM   #8
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

I agree with Brendan on the shorter metcons.

I prefer also some OMEM at like 80-85% for 8 mins.

I have even gone for 15 - 18 mins mixing stuff up.

Ie
back squat 85% for 1 rep
Next min 30 DU
bs
du
Etc

So was 9 reps of 385 BS and 270 DU

Also did an 8 min
3 snatch @ 80% every min

Have replaced with cleans and DL also

Can do 30 on 30 off row sprints and more.

Heck 8 rounds of 85-90% 100 m sprints will smoke you in that moment but not for a whole day.

Good luck and keep it up.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:56 AM   #9
Tim Alford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn M Wilson View Post
I agree with Brendan on the shorter metcons.

I prefer also some OMEM at like 80-85% for 8 mins.

I have even gone for 15 - 18 mins mixing stuff up.

Ie
back squat 85% for 1 rep
Next min 30 DU
bs
du
Etc

So was 9 reps of 385 BS and 270 DU

Also did an 8 min
3 snatch @ 80% every min

Have replaced with cleans and DL also

Can do 30 on 30 off row sprints and more.

Heck 8 rounds of 85-90% 100 m sprints will smoke you in that moment but not for a whole day.

Good luck and keep it up.
Thanks for the info Shawn! I haven't done rounds of 100m sprints in a few months, killer!

I do like the EMOM stuff and OMEM as well. I'll have to incorporate that. The long metcons leave me too drained. I'll be keeping it shorter/medium and throw in what you've mentioned. Thanks!
Old 09-29-2015, 07:39 PM   #10
Chris Mason

Profile:

If by beneficial you mean not mess up your goal of getting to 195 lbs and adding some conditioning, then yes.