CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-24-2015, 06:30 AM   #1
Alvin Borja

Profile:
Evening Workouts

Was curious to know how many here begin their workouts after 8pm. Is there a time when it just gets "too late" and you end up skipping or do you do it no matter what time you get home?
Old 09-27-2015, 12:30 AM   #2
Davo Wright

Profile:
Re: Evening Workouts

I find that if I do my workouts too late in the evening then I have a restless start to the night.
I have been tracking my sleep for a while and have over 600 nights worth of data. A PM workout reduces sleep quality by 5% or so.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:32 AM   #3
Alvin Borja

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo Wright View Post
I find that if I do my workouts too late in the evening then I have a restless start to the night.
I have been tracking my sleep for a while and have over 600 nights worth of data. A PM workout reduces sleep quality by 5% or so.
Interesting! Thanks.
Old 09-27-2015, 12:24 PM   #4
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

what is a PM workout, how many hours before sleep should one end workout to have zero effect on the sleep?
Old 09-28-2015, 08:20 AM   #5
Christopher Morris

Profile:

A PM workout would be a workout in the afternoon or evening (as opposed to a morning workout). He's referring to the clock (AM before noon, PM after noon).

I have occasionally done a workout after 8:00pm and find it hard to wind down.

I really enjoy a 5:00pm workout, though. After work, before dinner. That makes my evening more a useful part of the day instead of feeling sluggish. I feel that I sleep better if I've had a good, exhausting workout before dinner.

My input is subjective and anecdotal, but I would say a workout three or more hours before sleep won't decrease sleep quality.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:27 PM   #6
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Sorry, I just wanted to hear what's everybody's experience on the PM workouts.

I almost always do a noon workouts, but thats about to change and I will most likely start with PMs.

So if I am to go to bed at 10PM, based on your experience, what would be the best time to end a workout so it does no affect sleep?

PS, have you, that have bad experience, tried ZMA prior to sleep?
Old 09-29-2015, 12:40 AM   #7
Alex Burden

Profile:

I think this is a personal thing and there is no right or wrong with working out late but it does depend on what you put your body through.

If you really push yourself hard and you build up allot of adrenalin then you may have problems getting to sleep or it may actually cause you problems during your sleep.

I have trained Kyokushin karate for 7yrs and we worked out late in the evenings and during those 7 years I think I did not sleep well for maybe 4 of them. My body would take kicks and punches which in turn raised the adrenalin levels to really high as the body needs it to defend itself... so it took ages for this to get back to normal thus trying to get to sleep was an issue or if I got to sleep it never felt as if I had slept a good night even though I slept for 8 hours.

Now I have also worked out in the gym early in the morning for over 20years and the past 2 years doing CF. I sleep so much better at night, never any issues apart from being tired now and then in the morning as we get up at 05.20 and hit the gym at 06.00.

So I think you need to try it out, see what happens, make a decision as to if this works for you or not, does it affect your sleep and should you continue in the evenings.

The only person that can decide this is you.

That's my 2 on the subject
Old 09-29-2015, 11:19 PM   #8
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

I just realized something...

When I do a workout, lets say from 11 AM till 2PM, I am full of adrenaline and other hormones up to until around 5PM. I feel the effects going away, I start to feel tired, not as much energized, I have to put on some extra clothes... So the "dose" lasts around 3 hours.

For me to go to bed normally at 10PM would mean I should stop with working out at around 7PM, if same logic applies.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:11 AM   #9
Ludovic Deguy

Profile:

It depends on your natural tendencies, some people are at their peak in the morning, others in the evening.

If you are the morning type, for your training sooner is the better, if you train late, your sleep quality will be low and you will feel like trash the next morning.

If you are a night owl, training in the morning is a bad idea, you will feel like trash the entire day.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:20 PM   #10
Melissa Lohre

Profile:

I resort to evening workouts (anything after 6 p.m.) only if all other options are exhausted. I prefer afternoon workouts when possible but sometimes the day just doesn't allow. If that is the case, I'll get it in the evening. However, my night's sleep is usually messed up. For me it's worth it as I don't want to skip a workout. I would imagine this will depend on each person though.